Recover Data from WD Passport Drive

jarfa

Hi,

I have an external 2TB WD Passport Drive - the model is a WDBYFT0020BBK-0B

It has suddenly stopped working in that the drive label is not showing up in Windows Explorer. However, in device manager it lists the device and the read\write light comes on in device. I have tried numerous youtube guides on finding the drive letter but they do not work and one process listed drive with a Fatal error. I also do not hear the disks spinning so perhaps motor is packed in.

So, my question hopefully someone can please answer is - how can I access the data to recover it and just scrap the hard drive?

Thanks in advance

pclab

First you need to check if the drive is in good shape or not, or if it is only a logical issue.
You can use VictoriaHDD for that.
If it starts to show physical issues, you should image the drive, for instance, with HDDSUPERCLONE, and only after that, use data recovery software to get the data back.

jarfa

First you need to check if the drive is in good shape or not, or if it is only a logical issue.
You can use VictoriaHDD for that.
If it starts to show physical issues, you should image the drive, for instance, with HDDSUPERCLONE, and only after that, use data recovery software to get the data back.
Thanks for feedback - I found a number of youTubers had advised opening up the drive and checking the read heads were stuck on the disk because this seemed to ne a common thing. I am aware this actually ruins the drive going forward but as long as I can recover most of the contents I am fine with that. I opened drive and indeed the read heads were stuck in middle of disks. I followed youTubers to return the read heads to home. I closed HDD again and then tried HDD in USB port. It now sounds like it is spinning up but now makes a clicking sound which is common also in these drives. I used VictoriaHDD and the drive is shown and if I click on S.M.A.R.T and then click on Get Smart all the values are ZERO. What do I do now please?

pclab

Thanks for feedback - I found a number of youTubers had advised opening up the drive and checking the read heads were stuck on the disk because this seemed to ne a common thing. I am aware this actually ruins the drive going forward but as long as I can recover most of the contents I am fine with that. I opened drive and indeed the read heads were stuck in middle of disks. I followed youTubers to return the read heads to home. I closed HDD again and then tried HDD in USB port. It now sounds like it is spinning up but now makes a clicking sound which is common also in these drives. I used VictoriaHDD and the drive is shown and if I click on S.M.A.R.T and then click on Get Smart all the values are ZERO. What do I do now please?
You damaged the heads and eventually even platters...
I think it's time to trash it...