Ramp Problem

pclab

Hi

I got a WD600UE Scorpio 2,5" that fell down. After opening it up, I see that the ramp don't let the heads park.
Heads see fine and platters too.
Just because heads don't park, it can make the drive go crazy and cannot detect it? They should be always well parked?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20151124_165439.jpg
    IMG_20151124_165439.jpg
    997.6 KB · Views: 1,267

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen this a few times where it seems to have just missed the ramp. Usually if you're careful enough you can just gently move it over the platter and back onto the ramp and they survive the process. I've often imaged 100% of sectors in these cases. Just be careful about power cycling it as it might do it again. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. I think that the drive likely shut off suddenly during a read/write and it wasn't flying high enough to get on top of the ramp.

LarrySabo

Hmmm, I thought I had posted a reply but I don't see it. Anyway, it said that I've found some ramps have a lot of rotational play. Perhaps if you gently put the heads back on the platter and reposition the ramp to it's furthest counter-clockwise position it will reduce the odds of it happening again. I like Jared's explanation though.

PS - Oh yeah, I had a network connectivity problem as I was trying to post, so that explains where it went.

pclab

Hey Guys

Thanks for the input.
I have tried to make them go to the ramp, but they don't get high enough.
I will try to put them there using a tool.

Is this normal just by falling down?

Cheers

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
It could very well be that the ramp is a bit deformed, shouldn't be a surprise with large scale Chinese manufacturing. That or the little prong at the tip is now bent down and isn't up like it should be. Sometimes you can straighten it a bit, at least enough to get one good power on and image without shutting it off.