Power Outage Data Recovery

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Well, looks like it'll be a busy couple of weeks here. Had 70Mph winds here along with the most lightning I've ever seen in my life. Took out thousands of trees and power lines. About half the state of RI still doesn't have any power. Just came back at my house, but still out at the office. And from what I saw and others described the power was off and on quite a few times before finally going out. I can only imagine how many computers got messed up and crashed. Had 5 customers needing recovery call before noon today, and I expect the remainder of week to get even busier as people start trying to charge their laptops on generators and power finally get's restored to see the damage. :shock:

LarrySabo

We had a momentary power outage here night before last. While my PC was on UPS and carried on through it, my imager and RAID array were not, so I had to restart the job from where it left off. And today, my RAID array went offline, although I think that was more because of plugging in a vacuum cleaner on the same circuit. So now I need to recover data from my own RAID array. Fortunately, I had copied the recovered data to a transfer drive before the RAID array crapped out. Lesson: put the imager and RAID array on the UPS too, stupid.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Haha, don't feel bad Larry. I've recovered my own data twice too. Even with all the horrors we hear about in this field, still don't learn to back everything up. I've only recently gotten better about it, last time my 24Tb RAID failed I only lost a couple files that weren't backed up.

jol

Jared":3hj1asms said:
Haha, don't feel bad Larry. I've recovered my own data twice too. Even with all the horrors we hear about in this field, still don't learn to back everything up. I've only recently gotten better about it, last time my 24Tb RAID failed I only lost a couple files that weren't backed up.
how much did you pay :lol:

LarrySabo

Jared":ojn1tdvb said:
Fortunately, this time the remaining good drive was perfectly readable stand-alone. Last time I had a problem with my RAID, the corrupted drive mirrored to the healthy drive so I had to work to get my data back. The failed drive back then was a Seagate, and it is again==a recertified drive no less. I'm a slow learner, it seems.

lcoughey

I prefer to get work from paying clients than doing my own recoveries. That said, we usually have a system drive that fails every few months. It is rare that there is any data lost, but we usually recover the data just to get some config information and make sure that there isn't something that we do need off.