mSATA drive I/O error

bailey125

Hi,

I have a mini PC boot drive that now no longer boots into Windows 10 Pro. It is a 256GB mSATA HDSSESB-256GB/C32 drive. The initial symptom was that randomly when booted up, after the Windows loading circle it would just go to a black screen. I was still able to go into the recovery menu and try the different options but trying to fix from there didn't work (System repair, automatic repair. CMD was accessible but bootrec commands didnt work).
I plugged in a bootable USB to see if I could access the drive from another windows drive, however, although it would show in explorer it would freeze up the system for ages. When it was eventually responsive again I was getting the error "H:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" whenever I tried to access it.
Disk Management shows the drive and all its partitions (EFI System Partition, Recovery Partition and main data partition). The main partition shows as RAW instead of NTFS.

tDRg4xG.png

I have an external mSATA reader and so I plugged the drive into another computer and checked to see if I could access it from there, but the same symptoms occurred: I/O error and it appearing as RAW in Disk Management.

I then tried a bunch of recovery programs, but here are the results:
ToolResult
EaseUS Data Recovery WizardDrive does not show
MiniTool Partition WizardDrive does not show
Eassos DiskGeniusSometimes shows, but displays I/O Error same as Windows Explorer
CleverFiles Disk DrillDrive does not show
Macrium ReflectDrive does not show
Piriform RecuvaDrive does not show
CGSecurity PhotoRecDrive letter shows, but recovery yields 0 files, did not scan
CGSecurity TestDiskDrive letter shows, but scan shows read error, and did not scan
Prosoft Data RescueDrive does not show
Tenorshare 4DDiGUnable to get past the scanning drives section

There is nothing too important on there, but there are some files I would be interested in recovering if possible. There is some personal information on there so I don't want to send it off for repair/recovery (plus since as I said there isn't very important stuff on there)

Are there other things I can try? Would windows reinstall (keeping files and documents) help in this case? Any recommendations would be helpful.

Kind regards

Last edited: