Mr. wrecker

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I've met that guy there. That's why I now make them sign a chain of custody form which has the drive serial number on it and the date right next to their signature. So if they ever try to blame me for it being the wrong drive, their name is literally written all over it.

HaQue

same, though I get him to take a picture of the label on his phone, and I do the same. I don't even trust paperwork with this guy.

jol

and here comes the other guy (computer technician), when his number pops up on the phone you know trouble is on the way

general idea on the HDD's he is sending
WD with dust, fingerprints, scratches on the platters
ST F3 arch. with a replacement PCB, of course "without" the original ROM (asking him where is the original PCB, he says i can't find it)

so ,yesterday his number is on my phone and i'm thinking what a lovely day & Mr. trouble had to show up ?

me: Hi, what trouble you got for me today ?
Mr. trouble: no no no, it's an HDD not tampered, not opened, i even saw the entire user data (and i'm thinking, where is the catch).
bla bla bla
me: OK, send it over !

after examining the drive, head 0 dead, head 1 slow

i'm calling him back, knowing him i know there is more behind his initial story

apparently, he worked on drive the entire night, scanning, trying to extract data... but failed

me: you claimed that have you saw the partitions folder and files ?
Mr. trouble: yes all the partitions, folders and files, but couldn't save anything, i ran a scan with a software called... (i don't remember) and it got stuck during scanning and couldn't access the drive anymore (me thinking, here we go).
me: did it took a long time for the BIOS to recognize the drive ?!
Mr. trouble: yes, how do you know ?
me: (i know he uses windows only) did it took a long time for windows to start ?!
Mr. trouble: yes, how do you know ?
me: did it took a long time for windows to recognize the drive ?!
and again Mr. trouble: yes, how do you know ?
me: and you claim you saw all user data ?
Mr. trouble: yes, everything, but couldn't save anything
me: so... you killed head no. 0 while trying, it could have been a much cheaper recovery...

haha cool argument , jol if you need solution for this man .... quite Data recovery Business and start producing a movie for such persons , you are gifted in Storytelling ... :D

HaQue

start issuing diagnostic reports including "Drive damaged by previous attempts" or "drive appears to be subjected to unusually high workloads, destroying heads"