iPhoto Issues in Latest MacOS

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone else here having customers with issues opening their old iPhotos library in the new MacOS? I've had a few recent ones where 100% of sectors were recovered, yet the new Photo's app says the database is corrupted. Apple's solution is to "update to the latest version" which doesn't help anyway.

I've confirmed this myself using my Mac Mini, and it gives me the same error. You guys seeing this too, or know of a solution? I know I can just copy all the pictures out of the 'masters' folder, but some customers likely won't be happy with that.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it just says it can't repair the library. However, if I browse into the actual folder the pictures are all still there in the Masters folder. I've had this problem show up twice now and both times it was 100% recovered, so no reason to be corrupt in the first place.

pclab

What about getting an old MacOS version (compatible with that version), and export the photos out?

LarrySabo

Jared":20ts30yg said:
[post]6136[/post] Yes, it just says it can't repair the library. However, if I browse into the actual folder the pictures are all still there in the Masters folder. I've had this problem show up twice now and both times it was 100% recovered, so no reason to be corrupt in the first place.
That's what I've done. Why does the customer not find this satisfactory? What do they lose by not having the pictures recovered using iPhoto, a custom catalogue/index or something?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
LarrySabo":3jxkwjzn said:
Jared":3jxkwjzn said:
[post]6136[/post] Yes, it just says it can't repair the library. However, if I browse into the actual folder the pictures are all still there in the Masters folder. I've had this problem show up twice now and both times it was 100% recovered, so no reason to be corrupt in the first place.
That's what I've done. Why does the customer not find this satisfactory? What do they lose by not having the pictures recovered using iPhoto, a custom catalogue/index or something?

I don't know. You know Mac users if they have to use a different program than they are used to they start to panic and get confused. These are the type of people who prefer a phone with only one physical button. It's no problem to browse into the library and just copy the raw files out, but won't import for some reason even though it's perfectly good and can still open in iPhoto, just not Photos. Stupidly however Apple took iPhotos out of their app store for the latest OS, so you can't even just tell them to install it that way.

Just a minor annoyance.