Interesting Seagate Issues

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
So here's a strange Seagate case I've never seen. Seems this drive gets stuck busy whenever it tries to access it's S.M.A.R.T. data. I can't even access or clear it because the drive just gets stuck busy. And every time it hits a bad sector it becomes busy and completely stops responding. Only way to get it to respond again is to power cycle.

Strangely enough it's actually able to image quite quickly in DE, I just have to have it set to power cycle every time it hits a read error. Even just a soft reset and it's stuck busy (probably because it's trying to add to the SMART).

It's a 15% now, let's hope the drive can handle a few dozen more power cycles to finish up. Good thing there aren't a lot of bad sectors.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
PC-3000 seems to only show features for each model that are relavent & work on that specific family. I've seen features like that for other families but I don't see it on this one.

In any event, given that its half way through cloning now, I'm not too worried about it.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yes after looking again, it does have that feature. However it won't work. Seems that the drive hangs whenever it tries to switch levels in terminal and times out. Perhaps this would be one to try the m0,,.... fix on, but I've already got 99.99% of the data without fixing it. So at this point it's kind of a moot point unless I want to try and refurbish the drive for them.