Installing R-Studio in Debian

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I just spend several hours trying to figure out how to install R-Studio in a build of Debian Linux and having a heck of a time getting it to work. I kept getting the error:

Code:
error while loading shared libraries: libfontconfig.so.1: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory

I finally figured out that the issue is with the build of Linux only having the 64bit version of this font library configuration package. So to fix the issue I just had to run this command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install libfontconfig1:i386

Which added the 32bit version in and now it works beautifully.

Hope this helps to save someone else three hours.

pclab

Great eheheheh
But R-Studio for Linux only works with Linux File Systems... No NTFS, FAT, etc...

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
No, it's the full program and works on all the same file systems as the Windows version does. It's essentially the same program.

pclab

Ah, so you are installing the "normal" windows version in Linux?
Or the Linux version? Because I have tried before, and I think it only worked with HFS...

Alt-RTT

R-Studio for Linux (not to be confused with our free R-Linux!) has almost the same features as R-Studio for Windows has. The difference is that the previewer in R-Studio for Linux supports less file formats. And there're both 32-bit and 64-bit versions for .deb and .rpm installers. R-Studio for Linux installers.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, maybe that was my issue. Perhaps I should have installed the 64 bit version in the first place... live and learn.