How to Read ROM Through Terminal on WD My Passport and Elements USB Drives

vrocco

Can someone give me a quick hand with this. I think I have the serial adapter hooked up correctly and I have a piece of paper in between the board and drive. I still keep getting an error. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

Tried in BootROM mode and got the error below. Can’t identify the drive in normal mode.

04B16419-9D10-4C9B-B215-EE0D8377919F.jpeg30509D5F-852D-43DE-88B4-5AA68ACAC6A5.jpeg

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
You have to plug in the USB cable to power the PCB after the terminal is already sending the boot ROM code signal.

vrocco

Could you clarify that? I am following the prompts in pc3000. Power drive off and plug in serial terminal. Power drive on.

I don't get anything on the TX or RX lights on the terminal. Board is 771737 (Rev A). Connected with Samsung adapter.

Does anyone have a pinout for the drive and the terminal so I can just try connecting the needed pins instead of using an adapter?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
The bottom corner two pins are RX and TX. I forget which is which, but you've got a 50/50 shot at guessing right the first time.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Also, there's no need to block the preamp with paper. In fact it's better not to do that. If it starts to spin, you know it didn't receive the boot signal. You'll know it received it when it doesn't try to spin.

pclab

After I started using the WD 2,5" adapter, I never had any more problems to connect to Boot COM.

Attachments

• WD2,5.jpeg
    WD2,5.jpeg
    2.8 KB · Views: 1,306
vrocco":3lag314v said:
Can someone give me a quick hand with this. I think I have the serial adapter hooked up correctly and I have a piece of paper in between the board and drive. I still keep getting an error. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

Tried in BootROM mode and got the error below. Can’t identify the drive in normal mode.

View attachment 1

My experience;
Some models doesn't allow read rom by this way.
Some models if bad heads doesn't allow read rom by this way.
Sometimes need long wait till drive busy mode end ( assume waiting time with experience )
Sometimes remove PCB-hsa connection would work.
(Using MRT)

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
DigitalVeriKurtarma":125epin8 said:
[post]16026[/post] Some models doesn't allow read rom by this way

100% of Seagate drives work this way. At least if you have PC-3000 and know how to connect terminal they do.
[post]16026[/post] Sometimes need long wait till drive busy mode end

I don't think you know what boot rom code is my friend. There's zero wait time, and the status indicators will never go ready during it.

[post]16026[/post] Sometimes remove PCB-hsa connection would work.

It makes no difference whether or not the PCB is connected to the HDA. If it receives the boot ROM code signal over TTL it'll never even attempt to communicate with the preamp or spin up the motor.

Jared":7o4ciz26 said:
DigitalVeriKurtarma":7o4ciz26 said:
[post]16026[/post] Some models doesn't allow read rom by this way

100% of Seagate drives work this way. At least if you have PC-3000 and know how to connect terminal they do.
[post]16026[/post] Sometimes need long wait till drive busy mode end

I don't think you know what boot rom code is my friend. There's zero wait time, and the status indicators will never go ready during it.

[post]16026[/post] Sometimes remove PCB-hsa connection would work.

It makes no difference whether or not the PCB is connected to the HDA. If it receives the boot ROM code signal over TTL it'll never even attempt to communicate with the preamp or spin up the motor.

Havent saw "boot room " in that message . Thx