Hitachi NV-RAM Incompatability Issue

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Ran into a strange event today that doesn't make sense to me. Had a HTS547575A9E384 come in that had a burnt out PCB. I wasn't able to read the NV-RAM through the utility as it wouldn't come ready, so I physically moved the chip. The recovery went perfectly, read every last sector.

Now I just want to make my donor work again. So I tried writing the NV-RAM back to it. It acts like it writes fine, but it just won't work. I checked and both NV-RAM images are the same size. I even had two copies that I made of the donor and I've tried both, but to no avail. It's almost like the NV-RAM image of the donor isn't compatible with the chip (which I know is good, it still works on the patient drive).

Or is there something I'm missing that's preventing it from writing to the chip? Any thoughts.

(Oh and I seem to have lost the original chip from the donor, so that isn't an option at this point)

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Edit: I actually just realized that it's not even spinning up after I write the original NV-RAM to it. So it must be that I either didn't get a good read (either time) or that the code is somehow not compatible with the NV-RAM chip. How strange.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Update: I managed to find the original NV-RAM. Soldered it back on, and it's working like a charm. How strange that the other NV-RAM chip worked to read the original drive with this PCB, but wouldn't even try to spin up with the other NV-RAM code. I guess you can't assume that these chips are always compatible to just write the code and not transfer the actual chip.

I guess I learned something new.

lcoughey

Perhaps the NVRAM contains info about the head pre-amp that prevents it from spinning if it detects that it isn't compatible?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps. I even tried writing a half dozen other NV-RAM codes from the same model to it, and none would spin up except the one from the original patient drive.

Jono

On really old Hitachi 3.5 drives, sometimes swapping PCBs would change a flag in EEPROM and the board wouldn't let the motor spin up.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
It's just strange to me that using the exact same PCB (which works on both drives) the NV-RAM works when physically transferred but not when digitally transferred. The only explanation is the actual NV-RAM chip is somehow different and makes it in-compatible. It's making me think that you can't always trust just digitally writing the NV-RAM to the PCB on these Hitachi but that sometimes you'll need to physically transplant it.

Just something odd I thought I'd share.