Hitachi HTS545032B9SA00

pclab

Hi

I have this drive which is well detected, but I can't read not even 1 sector... Only on PIO withouth CRC...
The modules are OK, NVRAM test OK, tried to regen translator, reset smart and nothing works.
Also tried to create a virtual translator on DE, but nothing as well.

What do you suggest?
Thanks

pclab

Hey

Thanks for the input...

I haven't tested with another PCB, as the drive can ID well... With a bad PCB can I get such a faillure?? :oops:

Bad/weak heads.... Not an option on this client. He doesn't want to spend allot....

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen bad PCBs do all sorts of crazy things. These days I just replace it first thing to rule it out, before bothering to try too much else.

EADR

+1 jared,

I have seen drives transfer data very slow, only read up to a certain LBA (even though full LBA is registered), totally ignore a good head, let alone clicking and loud buzzing....

Always a favorite to discount before you go any deeper.... :D

LarrySabo

If I had a donor on-hand, I would consider changing heads just out of stubbornness, then recover the data and send the customer a file listing to show what he would get if he approved the recovery. Lots of donors for that model available reasonably cheaply, so might even just order one and keep it for future use, just so I could see if it solves the problem. I hate to give up.

pclab

Hi Larry

Actually I have a donor (from where I took the PCB). But to do all this to make 50$, is it worth it??

LarrySabo

$50? Not unless I wanted to do it for my own sake, just to learn. I like Luke's minimum charge policy, i.e., if they are unwilling to commit to his minimum charge, assuming he is able to recover the data, then don't even bother assessing it. If the data is unrecoverable, no charge; if it is, you get at least the minimum charge. If I had enough DR business that I could afford to turn some away, that's what I would do.