Has ddrescue has worked?

boredofcopy

Hi, I'm a novice. I typed the ddrescue - n - f command old disk to new disk and waited 20 hours.

It only did one pass as far as I can tell but I have read about people doing more passes but not sure if I need to do that?

It says 0 errors

Please someone look my output picture and tell me if I need to do anything else or if I can now start using my new disk clone?

It's so boring waiting for it to copy!

Thanks

Attachments

• ddrescue.JPG
    ddrescue.JPG
    804.6 KB · Views: 597

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't see that "rescued" number counting up, then it has just stopped responding. Most likey the source drive has gotten stuck in a busy state.

What is the original drive, something like a Seagate ST2000DM001?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

boredofcopy

Yes. The numbers on the left would stop for a while then count up then the numbers on the right would go as high as 125MB/s for a few seconds then gradually drop down to about 26700 KB/s and this would keep going to and fro at a constant pace. The numbers on the left started at 0 and gradually reached 2000 GB and then it stopped and said finished. The whole process too about 21 hours. It says errors 0. Does that mean it worked or do I need to do anything else?

The old drive was a seagate 2TB ST2000DM001 (30K hours used) plugged into ESATA and the new drive is TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 3TB plugged into USB3.0 using a star-tech adapter cable.

I just read a bunch of stuff about doing a second pass, etc but I think maybe it does not need that, so I thought to ask on here for a pro to take a look at my screenshot after it ended? Thank you!

(If it is ready, I will store the old drive as backup and start using the new one where I left off.)

boredofcopy

Background:

The old seagate 2tb disk was dual boot with linux and has been working with no problems but is nearly full so I decided to replace it with a 3tb toshiba and clone the 2tb onto that.

I tried clonezilla but it kept getting stuck after 5% or 10% when cloning the windows partition. For that reason I tried ddrescue to clone the disk and it has done so as in the screenshot in my first post.

I put the new 3tb disk in after cloning and the linux OS boots no problem and mounts the windows partition and you can see all my files. When I try to boot in windows, just as the windows animation starts a quick a sudden flash of BSOD and it resets. Next boot system repair starts but cannot fix anything.

What has gone wrong with the cloning? The old disk is still working fine.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Did the cloning ever finish? In that screenshot, only a small percentage has actually cloned. Most likely the drive has a patch of bad sectors. It might not try reading that area on boot from the old drive so it's not noticing. When you go to clone, the drive is probably getting stuck at that point and not recovering.

You might try HDDSuperClone as an alternative. It can be better at detecting a hung drive than ddrescue is at times.