Greetings!

Othersteve

Hey all,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. For about ~10 years I've been running a sub-business of my tech consulting firm in Louisville, KY as a data recovery business... doing everything below the level of drive repair procedures (so basically no firmware, cleanroom, etc. work, but anything else). I've got 2x DeepSpars, 1x RapidSpar, 1x DeepSpar USB Stabilizer, and a huge amount of expensive recovery software to go with it.

Until last week, when a good friend of mine in the industry convinced me to take a shot with an MRT Ultra -- since my budget/recovery workload doesn't yet justify an actual PC-3000, and the down payment of a few hundred bucks plus the pay-as-you-go monthly option seemed to make a whole lot of sense for me. I'm getting more and more drives in that probably don't require actual lab work, but which could probably benefit from some more sophisticated firmware tools.

So anyway, I've finally decided to post and participate, because (as most of you are well aware), MRT has the worst documentation of any tool around. So I'm green at the firmware stuff -- a total amateur -- but if you'll permit me, I'd love to ask you all a bunch of really stupid questions as I fail my way upward. :LOL:

I've got 1000+ abandoned drives here to practice on (probably 5% of which are actually bad), so I figure no better time to start than now! Any advice/resources to help me get off on the right foot?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome! Just start working on those bad drives, and when you get stuck, post what you've tried here and we'll try to help you through the next steps. MRT is a bit more challenging to work with compared to PC-3000, but you can still do a lot.