Blunders Of Data Recovery

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure what (or who) happened here, but I just got in an SAS drive for recovery. Imaging went well, only a few bad sectors near the beginning but when I look at the data it's almost all zeros. Ran a scan in R-Studio and found some random data near the middle, but nothing useful. Then I notice that where the EXT 3/4 partition should start, there's another MBR partition table.

Looks like someone tried cloning their own drive and went the wrong direction :( .

pclab

I'm also struggling a WD from a USB enclosure (I have asked the client the model...). I have decrypted it with PC3K (it found the key), but I can't get nothing.... :evil: :evil:

LarrySabo

Jared":1h16q6x4 said:
Looks like someone tried cloning their own drive and went the wrong direction :( .
I've done that, once, when I cloned the donor to the patient on a Bandura. Fortunately, I had an image so no data lost.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
pclab":2plnco62 said:
I'm also struggling a WD from a USB enclosure (I have asked the client the model...). I have decrypted it with PC3K (it found the key), but I can't get nothing.... :evil: :evil:

Is the key in the SA the same as the magic sector near the end? I've seen cases where they were different and you just have to find the one that works.

pclab

Hey Jared

The Key is the same.
Here are some photos of it.
What do you think?

Attachments

• WD encription.jpg
    WD encription.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 2,189
  • WD with  Decrypt option ON.jpg
    WD with Decrypt option ON.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 2,189
  • WD without encription.jpg
    WD without encription.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 2,189

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
That MBR in picture 3 looks like a decrypted MBR. Are you sure it's even encrypted? Also, could be software encrypted. I just was dealing with one where bitlocker was actually the culprit.

pclab

I have imaged the drive with encription on and off and did some scans.
Can't get nothing.
I'm trying to get more info from my client's client.

pclab

Hi Jol

Here they are.
Thanks

Attachments

• 2048 Encription Off.png
    2048 Encription Off.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 2,172
  • 2048 Encription ON.png
    2048 Encription ON.png
    148.3 KB · Views: 2,172

jol

the screenshot of the MBR says that there is a single partition begins @ sector 2048 and the size is 3,907,024,896 sectors.
but @ sec. 2048 I see only 0x00
so... something is definitely wrong