Bitlocker Key Sector

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know approximately where Bitlocker stores it's encryption key? The password is known, but the drive is impossibly slow to image. Would take years to complete, so I'm hoping to target just the couple files needed by mounting the DE task. When I do mount it, it sees that it's using bitlocker, but gives an error about not finding the encryption so I can't enter the pass to target the data.

Any ideas?

hipo

I use this one M3 BitLocker Decryption. Mount encrypted partition, enter key and then you can see hole folder structure and copy only important files and folders.
Think there should be and Windows Description command line tool.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Right, the tool wasn't what I needed back last year when this case was going on. My issue was that the drive was reading slower than a dial up modem, and couldn't find the key when I tried to unlock. I was hoping to find more of a sector range that it resides in, or location relative to the MBR, is it stored at the end of the partition, etc. so I could try to image that area and hopefully get the key.

Anyway, that case is long since closed out and gone now.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
No, I think I finally just ended up changing heads on it. Hard to remember now, been so many other cases since then. Was almost a year ago now.