America Runs On Old HDDs

Blizzard

Today we received 3 old hard drives for recovery, 2 x 80GB (ST3808110AS & WD800JD), 1 250GB EIDE (WD2500BB) all of them were from small business owners. You have probably seen some people speculate that SSDs are the end for HDD recovery and it's approaching fast. In my opinion and from the number of old drives I get, I don't see the end as being near. Too many small business owners run their computers until they crash or die. Small businesses often struggle and they just can't afford to update workstations and servers every few years.
I am wondering if it's regional though? This is my experience in the south which is where most of my cases come from (Florida, Georgia, Alabama, South & North Carolina, Tennessee).
What's your current experience with old HDDs coming in for recovery?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Blizzard":7lr9m6qt said:
Today we received 3 old hard drives for recovery, 2 x 80GB (ST3808110AS & WD800JD), 1 250GB EIDE (WD2500BB) all of them were from small business owners. You have probably seen some people speculate that SSDs are the end for HDD recovery and it's approaching fast. In my opinion and from the number of old drives I get, I don't see the end as being near. Too many small business owners run their computers until they crash or die. Small businesses often struggle and they just can't afford to update workstations and servers every few years.
I am wondering if it's regional though? This is my experience in the south which is where most of my cases come from (Florida, Georgia, Alabama, South & North Carolina, Tennessee).
What's your current experience with old HDDs coming in for recovery?
I agree. I think the SSD replacement in new computers is coming soon, but old spinners will still be around and failing for years to come. The real question is, how quickly will the number of cases coming in start to drop. It might start to get really competitive for customers quick.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

lcoughey

It is funny that you brought this up. I just got 2 consecutive projects with older Seagate drives, a 320GB 7200.10 (Date Code: 07396) and a 120GB 7200.9 (Date Code 06277), both with blown circuit boards and from different parts of the country. Both with critical business data, one with Quickbooks and the other with a custom database application.

With regards to the impending doom to the data recovery industry with SSD, I agree that it won't be for quite some time. The big issue with SSD is with the transition over to PCIe where there is absolutely no data recovery hardware to support it, nor will we see PCIe to SATA adapters. So, start saving up now...someone is likely to release something soon and it is unlikely to be cheap.