1TB WD1001FALS no data access

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
samick":3ri8866y said:
Hi Amarbir,

I started with a set of used SD tools: Seagate, WD, Hitachi, and Maxtor. I ended up hard-wiring many connections to get rid of the flakiness.
I then got a DDI4. After about a year, almost every time I started it I was getting an error like "DDI not found". Instead of sending it back for repair and being down for who knows how long, I reflowed every single solder joint on the board and since then it's been a beast running almost every day for 3 years!
About 3 months ago I got a second DDI4 to help with the load. I also got a DFL Seagate tool around that same time.
I bought the PC3K about a month ago. I had a "trial by fire" learning experience with it, having to manually rebuild a NRGlist when the automatic translator recovery failed to produce results. Had to dig deep into the documentation and online tutorials (and maybe had a little bit of luck!).

Sam

Yeah, the first six months or so PC-3000 will seem like it's speaking another language. I remember just first trying to read the manuals and couldn't understand half of what I was reading. Don't be afraid to ask for help, even remote assistance when you need it. Even if Ace is too slow to get back to you there are plenty of us willing to do a remote session so long as you throw a couple bucks our way at the end. You'd be surprised how much you can learn by just watching how an experienced professional operates the tool.

samick":1uo7kbwt said:
Hi Amarbir,

I started with a set of used SD tools: Seagate, WD, Hitachi, and Maxtor. I ended up hard-wiring many connections to get rid of the flakiness.
I then got a DDI4. After about a year, almost every time I started it I was getting an error like "DDI not found". Instead of sending it back for repair and being down for who knows how long, I reflowed every single solder joint on the board and since then it's been a beast running almost every day for 3 years!
About 3 months ago I got a second DDI4 to help with the load. I also got a DFL Seagate tool around that same time.
I bought the PC3K about a month ago. I had a "trial by fire" learning experience with it, having to manually rebuild a NRGlist when the automatic translator recovery failed to produce results. Had to dig deep into the documentation and online tutorials (and maybe had a little bit of luck!).

Sam

Hello Samick ,
I Would Advise You To Have 1Pc3K "That You Now Have" , 1 Unit DFL SRP:All In One With DDP,WD And Seagate Modules Only ,2 Units Of MRT With 4 SATA Connectors ,2 Deepspars DDI4 "That You Have Too " . Primarily You Use PC3K For Analysing And Then Decide Finally What Tool To Use For Completing That Case .Your SD Tools ARe Not Required Anymore "But You Can Hook Them At Different Places To Work On Them Off And On

Blizzard

Amarbir[CDR-Labs said:
":3kijiu73]
Hello Samick ,
I Would Advise You To Have 1Pc3K "That You Now Have" , 1 Unit DFL SRP:All In One With DDP,WD And Seagate Modules Only ,2 Units Of MRT With 4 SATA Connectors ,2 Deepspars DDI4 "That You Have Too " . Primarily You Use PC3K For Analysing And Then Decide Finally What Tool To Use For Completing That Case .Your SD Tools ARe Not Required Anymore "But You Can Hook Them At Different Places To Work On Them Off And On

Amarbir, I'm curious what your primary reason is for having 1-DFL-SRP rather than a second PC-3000 + DE?
Cost could be one reason but I would recommend to anyone starting out to go ahead and start with PC-3000 + DE. I actually made the mistake of starting with DFL-DDP and DFL-FRP. From the time the DFL products arrived until I finally purchased PC-3000 + DE I knew I had made a mistake trying to save a little money. The total investment required for data recovery makes the cost difference between DFL and Ace look like pennies.

One good reason for DFL-SRP is portability (USB) but I have yet to use that capability even though I have it.

Just curious what you would miss without the DFL-SRP.

Sam

Amarbir--I appreciate your input and advice!
I will not be buying any more DFL tools but I do find my DFL-Seagate useful when my PC3k ports are tied up. I did fail to mention that I purchased the DE with my PC3k. 3 weeks later I wished I would have dropped another $2.5k for the Express and been done with probably ever having to buy another tool.