DigitalVeriKurtarma
Data Recovery Novice

Temperature for removing ROM chips

Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:19 am

I killed a good working Toshiba ABD rom chip .Trying to prepare convert Sata to usb. for put in my customer's data . Only killed a hdd. Same temperature with others usually using 380-420 C. I have already swapped so many chip before. this is 2nd kill.
Now i am afraid about kill when recovery case.
Bye the way I realized that old type pcb's accept lower (I use 350-390C ) temperature.
New generations wants higher. (Using 390-420C)
Data Recovery In Turkey
[url]DigitalVeriKurtarma.com[/url]

Jared
Forum Admin

Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:16 pm

I usually use higher temp but heat for less time. Typically I'm heating at 450C to 480C. But, you've got to coat the pins with flux so they heat quickly. It should only take about 30-40 seconds of heating before it can be removed. I don't think I've ever ruined a ROM chip doing it the way I do.

It's always best to read the ROM first before transfer so you have a backup (if the PCB is in working order to get a backup). ROM chips are cheap, lost data isn't.

DigitalVeriKurtarma
Data Recovery Novice

Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:12 am

Jared wrote:I usually use higher temp but heat for less time. Typically I'm heating at 450C to 480C. But, you've got to coat the pins with flux so they heat quickly. It should only take about 30-40 seconds of heating before it can be removed. I don't think I've ever ruined a ROM chip doing it the way I do.

It's always best to read the ROM first before transfer so you have a backup (if the PCB is in working order to get a backup). ROM chips are cheap, lost data isn't.

Hmm.
I'll try this.
Data Recovery In Turkey

DigitalVeriKurtarma
Data Recovery Novice

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:46 am

Thanks for advice.
It's better than my old way. Perfect.
Data Recovery In Turkey