Surface Pro 5 2017 MBR Needed

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone here have access to a 256Gb Surface Pro? Specifically the 2017 edition if possible?

I just need a copy of the default MBR sector. I managed to clone the built-in SSD except for sector 0 which is bad. There's a backup of the GPT at the end of the SSD, so that's not an issue. I just need the legacy MBR to put in there and would prefer to not need to manually rebuild the whole thing.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Nevermind to this. After I set the max LBA of the destination drive to properly match the original SSD and slaved it to another Windows machine the MBR and first copy of GPT just regenerated itself.

Unfortunately though, the customer doesn't have the Bitlocker Recovery Key and so I think we're stuck at a game over situation here.

Sam

The customer should be able to recover their Bitlocker recovery key by logging into their Microsoft account.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, the customer finally discovered they had a second Microsoft account they'd totally forgotten existed. Data recovered.

Sam

Nice! We've had a couple cases where the Surface automatically assigned a Bitlocker key and customer had never set up Bitlocker. Sure enough, all they had to do was log into their account and there the key was.