Suggestion to recover data from system locked hard drive

chicagotech

One of our users can't starts his laptop running Windows 10 and it is loop starting. After trying to run safe mode and repair without success. We decided to re-install Windows and keep files. However, we get system is locked message. bootrec /FixMbr gets cannot find path message. Then we use external USB reader to access the hard drive. It popup saying need to format it. Sometimes, the hard drive disappears from the Windows Storage Management. Any suggestions to recover the data in the drive?

pclab

First of all, image the drive to a new one. The more you play with it, the more damage you can do to it (like re-write it).
After that, do a scan with a software like Rstudio and see if you can access the data.

papa1000

As a matter of first importance, picture the drive to another one. The more you play with it, the more harm you can do to it (like re-compose it).

From that point onward, complete a sweep with a product like Rstudio and check whether you can get to the information.
[glow=red]Moderator Edit[/glow]

I now understand better

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
papa1000":3nsraop2 said:
[post]13691[/post] picture the drive to another one

I'm thinking this was lost in translation. I believe papa intended to say "image" the drive to another one.