Strange Things That Happen with a Bad PCB Board

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
So here's some strange behavior I've never quite seen before. It ultimately came down to a bad PCB, but it was still pretty crazy.

Drive is an Aries family 2.5" WD.

First time powering on - nothing, no spinning, clicking, hum, nada
Second time (with my ear on it) - spins right up, ID's
First attempt backing up SA - reads nice and fast, but stalls halfway through and I'm forced to power cycle it
After power cycle - doesn't ID, just reads "Bz" and nothing else in the ID.
Power cycle again - same "Bz" ID.
Let it sit for 30 seconds then power on again - full ID, full backup of SA without issue.
Start to read data - after 1Mil sectors it clicks once then starts getting Err on all sectors.
Power cycle again - Bz
Again - Bz
again - Full ID, reads a few million more sectors before going stupid.

I replaced the PCB, and the drive seems to work normally now.

However, where it gets really strange is when I look at the data it did read in Hex. All of the sectors are shifted up by about 40 bytes. So something that should start at a sector boundary actually starts at the bottom of the previous sector, then fills the top 3/4 of the next sector. Even the MBR had the top few lines cut off, and the ending 55 AA signature is up a few lines from the bottom of sector 0. After re-reading the sectors with the new PCB, they are normal.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
No, after I changed the board all the sectors line up with their boundaries as they should be. Got a 100% recovery on this case in just one day. I just found it really odd that with the bad PCB all the sectors were shifted like that. You'd think the ECC functions would prevent it from returning anything like that.