ST3000DM001 Preamp and Head Mapping info from firmware?

scottz

Serial port is locked and I don't have the professional tools to dig deeper.

For the patient and donor drives: 1st 4 of SN, Full Part #, Firmware, PCB Revision all match.
What I'm concerned about is the Date Code is over a year apart.

I'm using a SPI eprom flash tool to dump and program the firmware instead of chip swapping.
I've attached both patient and donor firmware here.

Is there a way or a guide to find the Preamp and Head Mapping from the firmware?
Only info I found online was for the preamp and that there is a space between the 2 numbers.

Thanks

Attachments

• Patient-Donor-ST3000DM001.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 52

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
scottz":1c7bwkda said:
[post]17362[/post] I'm using a SPI eprom flash tool to dump and program the firmware instead of chip swapping
That can only read the 1Mb ROM code. The other 99.9% of the firmware is stored on the platters, including the parts you almost certainly need to modify on this model.

scottz":1c7bwkda said:
[post]17362[/post] Is there a way or a guide to find the Preamp and Head Mapping from the firmware?
Not one I'm willing to share publically. But I can tell you that both the patient and donor ROMs use preamp B7. And since they are both 3Tb (the maximum size of this family) they will have the same headmap of 0 1 2 3 4 5 as all 3Tb's do. It's only the downgraded ones you'd need to worry about that.

What was the original issue you were experiencing with the drive? I suspect you may be going about this all wrong.