ST1000DM003

OWLPolska

Hi, everybody.
I have some problem witch my old HDD ST1000DM003 PN1CH162-501 it is from Seagate's FreeAgent PRO, it worked as a normal disc in PC - non OS drive (demounted from FreeAgent). After couple of years Windows sed that there is a problem with this drive, then one time when I started this PC just saw blue screen. Now when i connect this drive to my PC using external USB to SATA interface windows is very laggy and do not detect this drive. So I think that I can tray to switch electronic from my drive with another. And now question is - should i search exact PN electronic or i can use I.E. PN: 1CH162-510.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
The PCB board is not your issue. I can promise you that with 99.9% certainty. This model is a member of Seagate's Grenada family of drives. The 3Tb version of your drives experienced nearly a 40% failure rate. The 1 and 2TB versions didn't fair quite so bad, but they all suffer from the same design flaws.

Most likely what has happened is that the drive has developed bad sectors which has triggered a sector re-allocation bug, or it has a corrupted media cache. Either of these problems will result in the drive getting stuck in a busy state and cause the OS to hang when it's connected. It's a very common issue.

There isn't likely anything you can do yourself unless you have access to professional data recovery equipment. However, for a professional data recovery lab it'll likely be an easy recovery (assuming the drive isn't clicking and stays spinning normally). Most cases like yours are a flat $450 here at our company.