SSD recovery gives lare SWF files

freddie

Toshiba DTP110 - initial problem was a lost partition. TestDisk has 'recovered' the partition but cannot retrieve the files. PhotoRec and other recovery software all pull up a few .txt files, but mainly a variation on the number of large (1 to 4 Gb) .swf files.

Any ideas on how to get the real files out of these .swf blobs? We do know that most of the data was Word, Excel or PowerPoint files.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
You should research what T.R.I.M. is. Depending on exactly what process lead up to the lost partition, very likely the blocks were already zero-filled.

freddie

Jared thanks for the tip. I've learned a bit more about SSD; every day is a school day.

The lost partition involves some, or maybe all, of the following - disconnection from the PC (possibly mid operation) and being dropped on the floor. Not a lot more detail than that.

I've attached a screenshot of the typical 'files found' [noting that different recovery software usually finds a different variation of the files].

Always happy to learn more...

2020-07-14 09_33_20-Clipboard.png

lcoughey

1. This is not an SSD...it is a Toshiba convio spinning hard drive
2. If it was dropped, the logical conclusion is that there is physical damage to the drive surface and/or heads
3. The more it is on, the more damage it is likely causing to the surface of the drive

If you value your data, send it to a data recovery professional before doing anything further. If you don't value your data, you can try to get a clone of the drive.