SSD from MacBook Air Data Recovery

ruxpin810

I have an Early 2014 MacBook Air and it stopped recognizing the hard drive. I replaced it and it was able to recognize the new hard drive so the issue is with the SSD that I pulled out. I purchased an external enclosure and I plugged it into my Mac and it did not recognize the hard drive. I plugged it into a Windows machine and it's able to detect the drive but I'm not able to access the files. I checked Disk Management and it lists the drive but it does not see the size and it says not initialized. Would love to get some recommendations on how I can try to recover the data myself before going to a professional. Thanks.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
ruxpin810":1dxac394 said:
[post]18102[/post] Would love to get some recommendations on how I can try to recover the data myself before going to a professional.

You've pretty much done it all. Honestly, depending on what SSD model it is, there might not even be much a professional can do.

StanEwans

As well as the early models of the family. Air uses a common SATA interface to work with the drive, even if it is " wrapped” in a non-standard connector. This computer supports three drive formats:

Proprietary SSD from Apple (or third-party copies);
mSATA (via adapter);
M. 2 SATA (via adapter). :idea:

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Nope, most of them are NVME which is not SATA but actually PCIe. Thus, not supported well in much of any data recovery systems. There are USB adapters for them, but if the original computer can't access the SSD it's unlikely that the adapter will either.