SSD erased files from NVIDIA folder

FernandoPérez

Dear all,
Recently I noted that the NVIDIA folder got erased/replaced after restart with a driver update. Normally, I don't turn off/restar my computer. Just leave it to hibernate.

The case however, is that I had placed some files unrelated to NVIDIA in such folder.... out of being silly really, as my downloads folder tends to lag due to file size and I just thought of placing them in the NVIDIA folder as it was in the recent access. My experience in the past was that if I reinstalled or uninstall a software and if there are files unrelated to it, the files are left untouched, this doesn't seem to be the case here.

Any ideas to retrieve them? the files in question are just jpg's images of some hand annotations (big in relationship to the resolution of the photos). I unfortunately changed the extensions to pdfs. I have tried to use EaseUS on the folder, it seems to retrieve more files than they currently exist but as I can't see previews of the files names I don't want to spend 80 dollars in the full version, specially because this software seems to also record all the existing files and it gives me doubts whether it really works. I tried recuva, but it finds nothing. It seems I don't have a restore point near the time of the driver upgrade, just about a month ago.

Anything would work, even just cache versions of the images and I tried thumbsviewer but it doesn't seem to be capable of opening the files in my system. Any ideas?

My drive, is an ssd samsung evo 850.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Because it is an SSD, T.R.I.M. probably already zero filed the files. Try some better software like R-Studio demo or UFS Explorer demo and see if it finds and can preview the jpgs. If either of those programs can't preview the files, they are gone.

FernandoPérez

Right, I thought so. I'll try your suggestions. I feel really silly should have moved them from there but that I'll do tomorrow turned into months.

FernandoPérez

Ah my other question would be if there they'd still be recognizable by those softwares since they were .jpg but I changed the extension to .pdf ? I don't know how the algorithm works.

What about thumbnails viewers?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
If it finds references to the file in the file system metadata, it'll retain whatever name it originally had, so a jpg renamed to pdf will still be named pdf. However, if you also scan for files by signature, then they will be nameless files with the correct extension for what the file actually is.

AnnaSa

I would like to buy an SSD and use it for heavy data transfer applications. I have read that many SSDs suffer from overheating. Do you know SSDs that dont have the overheating problem?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
AnnaSa":hljtx1py said:
I would like to buy an SSD and use it for heavy data transfer applications. I have read that many SSDs suffer from overheating. Do you know SSDs that dont have the overheating problem?

As this question has nothing to do with the original post, don't expect any answers here. Start a new thread for a new subject.