SSD and Different Interface

Hello guys,

Its actually frustrating that I have 4 SSD here with me with different Interfaces and it got worst that, 3 of those are from Apple Laptops.
The first from a MacbookPro 2014 Retinal, the other 2012 Retina and last one Mid 2010 SSD. Am beginning to receive SSDs now, and here comes my questions;

Are there no Standard for Interface for production on SSDs ??
Has anyone ever used PC3000 SSD ? is it worthy of the investment ??
Also, how many interface connections/converter do I have to get ?

thank you.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I've got about 5 or 6 Apple SSD adapters here and I know it's not all of them. Outside of apple most are pretty standard either mSATA or M.2 format. Though now you've got to pay attention as some are actually PCIe and not actually SATA at all, so you'll need to have an actual motherboard that supports the specific one or a PCIe adapter card. Here's where I get most of my adapters from: http://www.pc-adapter.net/categories/0/0/57/1.html though you can often find them cheaper on ebay or Newegg.

As to PC-3000 SSD, I'll have to let someone else comment on that.

HaQue

and I will add that there is nothing standard.

flash memory devices, including SSD consist of a fairly small group of components I have over 600 Flash memory devices consisting of USB, CF, MicroSD, SDHC, SDXC, Memory stick etc.. and as far as I know there is probably under5 that have exactly the same properties.

SSD's are going the same direction. There are MANY chips. There are MANY firmwares with MANY XOR Keys, wear levelling algorithms. Each controller manufacturer changes things up often, and gives no warning or documentation. There are NO Service Manuals.

for a look into how complex it gets, consider the following diagram keeping in mind each group of interface, converter, controller and memory is not complete. Each subgroup is not complete. If you know anything about Set Theory, your mind will start to comprehend the amount of possible devices with so many variables..
flash1.jpg

lcoughey

PC3K SSD does not work with newer PCIe SSD drives from Macs...at least not to the level you are thinking.

Thank you guys, I think SSD will be a bit tough for all DR Engineers. For now I will just keep buying connectors and converters and hope not to have a case that needs Chip off Recovery.

jol

Bankole Oladoja":1i0k4ux1 said:
and hope not to have a case that needs Chip off Recovery.
take into consideration that not everything can be done with chip off... encrypted sandisk or sandforce...

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I think SSD and flash media is something that I'll continue to outsource for now. Maybe next year I'll get the PC-3000 SSD addon for those busy locked SSDs, but I doubt I'll have the time to be messing around with anything chip off anytime soon. Better to outsource and let someone handle it who's dedicated to just that sort of work.