SSD addon for DDI

Freddy

Hi,to all!
does someone have the addon for SSD PCI-e and how does it work?
Are you satisfied with it and does it help to really fix some faults like they describe it at their homepage.
We get here more and more of these SSDs and there is no solution from PC-3000 so far :roll:
Any help in this topic would be more than appreciated.
Many thanks in advance from Freddy

Freddy

OK! I thought from their website description it could be helpful in some cases.
Main problem at the moment we get so many cases with these "plug-in SSDs" and having much trouble to solve it.
PC3k and MRT are programming the same utilities ...DFL ignores them in full...no one is working on these....very annoying :eek:
This would be our future business and no one has a solution for it.
It´s like someone is developing tools for to repair a car from 2015 but we need it for repairing the cars from 2018/19.
Do you know anybody who is working for developing some tools for these SSDs?
Maybe better question where to get information about their controllers and how to get loaders into these.

I read one article about from the Netherlands Forensic Institue how the get into a Samsung 1 TB ...the same which I got three month ago from a customer.
I asked ACELab Russia for help but they declined.
As most of the time when you need something they try to get you to pay for technical support and do not open the information.
It would have been worth our customer up to USD 7000,- :cry: :cry: :cry:
As I wrote in the ACELab forum these cases cost me my reputation which I had to built up in 30 years doing this job.
Thanks Jared for your answer.
Hopefully sometimes we have a good solution!

lcoughey

I don't have the DDI PCIe add-on. But here are my thoughts about SSDs. SSD recoveries fit into 4 different categories:

Logical
- file deletion/overwriting
- recovery only partially successful if TRIM and encryption aren't factors
- thanks to TRIM, success rates lower than 20%.

Bad sectors
- usually recoverable

Electronic
- rarely encountered, but possibly a flown fuse or cap or a weak solder connection

Firmware
- getting harder to recover with encryption of data and SA
- frequently accompanied with very unstable damaged NAND (a high amount of bad blocks)
- only a small percentage are supported with PC3000 PCIe
- PCIe only interfaced SSDs are not supported by any firmware tools
- there is a small window where the SSD may still be responsive with a tool like DeepSpar PCIe, if it is connected before the SSD goes totally unresponsive

I don't have the numbers, but I'd say that that percentage of unresponsive cases where DeepSpar PCIe will help are quite low, at the best of times. But even lower if it isn't the very first thing attempted.

So, the question of the value of getting the add-on will depend on the volume of cases you get.

lcoughey

Jump forward to 2023 and I have had the DeepSpar PCIe (DPI) add-on, as well as the PC3000 Portable with the NVMe port.

I've been reading a single apple SSD on the DeepSpar system since May of 2021 and have only gotten about 30%, thus far. The SSD will not read with PC3000 Portable or any other system.

I've had a couple of other SSD cases that I've pushed through where DPI got the job done. But, until now, I haven't yet recouped the costs of the investment.

For PC3000 portable, I've managed to get a few failed NVMe SSDs reading, but most of them have so much NAND damage, the percentage of good data is very low. Again, I've had this system for a couple years and haven't yet had enough successful cases (other than relatively healthy NVMe cases that could have been imaged elsewhere) to recoup my costs.

Even though it may sound like it is self serving, unless you get a lot of NVMe cases that you know would be recoverable with DPI or PC3000 Portable, you might be better off saving the money and outsourcing those cases to me or another lab who already have the equipment until you are sure you'll get enough cases to pay for your own.

nissimezra

Jump forward to 2023 and I have had the DeepSpar PCIe (DPI) add-on, as well as the PC3000 Portable with the NVMe port.

I've been reading a single apple SSD on the DeepSpar system since May of 2021 and have only gotten about 30%, thus far. The SSD will not read with PC3000 Portable or any other system.

I've had a couple of other SSD cases that I've pushed through where DPI got the job done. But, until now, I haven't yet recouped the costs of the investment.

For PC3000 portable, I've managed to get a few failed NVMe SSDs reading, but most of them have so much NAND damage, the percentage of good data is very low. Again, I've had this system for a couple years and haven't yet had enough successful cases (other than relatively healthy NVMe cases that could have been imaged elsewhere) to recoup my costs.

Even though it may sound like it is self serving, unless you get a lot of NVMe cases that you know would be recoverable with DPI or PC3000 Portable, you might be better off saving the money and outsourcing those cases to me or another lab who already have the equipment until you are sure you'll get enough cases to pay for your own.
The good days of HDD data recovery are coming to an end, ssd took the place of hard drive not to mention the built in storage. I rarely receive hard drive for data recovery. I started to see MacBook's for data recovery, not an easy job to repair the new mac