Some questions on WD My Password recover

CDWD

Evening guys.

I'm just looking to check some things you to see if I'm on the right path here or if something's completely off.

I'm currently attempting to recover an external WD My Password 1TB Harddrive using "Get Data Back Pro" by "Runtime".

The drive is completely inaccessible via Windows and when running the software on a windows OS it really struggles to initiate the scan. I've just got the runtime CDBoot USB going, running on Linux and it easily gets through the scan and shows all my data, so much faster and easier than my Windows OS.

I've been on this now for nearly a week and I feel like I'm not making much progress at all.

I'm currently imaging the bad drive which has 1,953,458,176 sectors. It got through the first 100,000 sectors extremely quick but now it's literally processing the sectors now at roughly around 1,000 sectors every 8giving seconds is me an estimated time of "2104" Hours and it seems to be increasing.

I have attempted another USB cable from another external drive and there seems like there's no change in transfer/processing speed at all during either imaging the drive or transferring a file from the drive to the local C drive.

Is there anything I can do at all to speed this process up, will it somehow kick itself into a much faster speed after passing some time, or am I destined to let it run for whole 89 days as suggested?

I feel like this is driving me mad and consuming so much of my time at the moment.

I will appreciate any feedback.

Many thanks.

CDWD

Hi Jared.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm currently running Get Data Back Pro on a Knoppix version of Linux and currently attempting to image the drive to the internal sata drive.

I'm thinking it's imaging so incredibly slow (87 days remaining) because it's scanning through bad sectors, would that be correct to assume? I'm hoping that it's going through a bad patch at the moment and it'll sort of "kick itself back into life" after getting through these bad sectors, although it's been incredibly slow for a good few hours now.

Thanks again for the advice.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
There's a good chance that the G-List is filling up and the drive is developing the WD slow responding bug. It'll likely just get slower and slower until it totally stops responding, to be honest.

You can try imaging in reverse by adding in the -R flag to image sectors in reverse order. That'll tell you if it's just a rough patch or if the G-List is starting to overflow.

It's an easy enough fix with a tool like PC-3000 to get it reading full speed again.