snap2html question

Freakazoid

Hello. Once you have run disk image on a hard drive for the customer and it has got all file information but some / more files are corrupt due to a sector error. Do you sort out those files before you create a snap2html for the customer?

LarrySabo

If I do a selective file recovery, I set the task to append ".bad" to files with errors. I normally leave those files where they are and explain to the customer how to find them. I also quote the number of files & folders recovered and their total size, and add "... of which xxx files (yyyGB) were corrupted/unreadable." If I follow best practice and do a drive image (rather than selective file recovery) and recover the files from the image, there is no way to know which of the recovered files are corrupted without opening/playing/running them.

That was before got Corrupted File Finder. It can scan the recovered files and flag/separate those that are corrupted, based on them containing a sector full of the fill character. There may still be corrupted files that don't meet that definition and some files that do but are not corrupted. It's not infallible but is an improvement.

You could always do the drive image first and then run a selective file recovery task against the patient. That would get you a more accurate list of "bad" files but still allow further recovery from the image, e.g., of lost or deleted files.

Blizzard

With PC-3000 + DE we can choose to save files with bad or unread sectors to a folder labeled "!Problem". It also creates a text report of the bad files and their paths. This basically gives the customer 2 recoveries, good files with original folder structure, and bad files with original folder structure in the folder "!Problem". The problem files have the original file type so the customer can easily open them to see if they are worth keeping. This works great with Snap2HTML because you can point out to the customer they are paying for the recovery that's not in the !Problem folder and receiving the data in the !Problem folder as a bonus, if they choose to go through it.

Freakazoid

LarrySabo":3v5sumj5 said:
[post]12559[/post] If I do a selective file recovery, I set the task to append ".bad" to files with errors. I normally leave those files where they are and explain to the customer how to find them. I also quote the number of files & folders recovered and their total size, and add "... of which xxx files (yyyGB) were corrupted/unreadable." If I follow best practice and do a drive image (rather than selective file recovery) and recover the files from the image, there is no way to know which of the recovered files are corrupted without opening/playing/running them.

That was got Corrupted File Finder. It can scan the recovered files and flag/separate those that are corrupted, based on them containing a sector full of the fill character. There may still be corrupted files that don't meet that definition and some files that do but are not corrupted. It's not infallible but is an improvement.

You could always do the drive image first and then run a selective file recovery task against the patient. That would get you a more accurate list of "bad" files but still allow further recovery from the image, e.g., of lost or deleted files.

Thanks for your answer LarrySabo. Maybe I should start do selective file recovery then? I was learned it was better to make image of driver..

Freakazoid

Blizzard":rhhrxui2 said:
[post]12560[/post] With PC-3000 + DE we can choose to save files with bad or unread sectors to a folder labeled "!Problem". It also creates a text report of the bad files and their paths. This basically gives the customer 2 recoveries, good files with original folder structure, and bad files with original folder structure in the folder "!Problem". The problem files have the original file type so the customer can easily open them to see if they are worth keeping. This works great with Snap2HTML because you can point out to the customer they are paying for the recovery that's not in the !Problem folder and receiving the data in the !Problem folder as a bonus, if they choose to go through it.

Thanks for answer Blizzard. unfortunately i don't have PC-3000.
Do it when you create image of the disk or just when you select and copy files / folders?
It`s sounds like being in heaven with PC-3000

LarrySabo

Freakazoid":9pvnep1b said:
[post]12561[/post] Thanks for your answer LarrySabo. Maybe I should start do selective file recovery then? I was learned it was better to make image of driver..
You could always image first then do selective file recovery from the patient, as mentioned. However, that really increases time required for the job. With the job currently underway, I started a selective file recovery but saw that the customer's most important folder is empty ("vids and pics") so I didn't proceed. Instead, I stopped the job and started a drive image task instead. I can always re-do the selective recovery after I have the image and I can use recovery software against the image to find lost and deleted files from the image.

Selective file recovery is helpful because it lets you provide the customer with a directory listing (using screenshots) yet not unduly jeopardize the data if you stop at that point and then do the drive image. Asking the customer what files are most important is really important.