Sick of Crypt-O-Virus Jobs

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting really sick of these crypt-o-wall and similar viruses showing up. They are just a huge waste of time, you commit a system to scanning a drive for hours, just to get back a few useless old files. The customer is never happy with the result, so you almost never get paid. I think I'm just going to turn away all future jobs like this.

What have you guys been doing with these cases?

LarrySabo

I have yet to get one, to be honest. Had a couple of calls but I told them it's probably impossible to get their data back (with new variants).

PS - Your topic title has a typo.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Type-O fixed. I'm honestly thinking I should go and find every reference to these viruses on my site/form and delete it. I'm getting about two a week. Grrrr!

LarrySabo

I see Brian's (300DDR) posts in Technibble about one customer who asked his assistance to recover his data from a crypto-variant. Customer paid the $1,000 IIRC; no idea what Brian charged for his help. Involved downloading a decrypting utility, which itself had viruses within, but worked.

pclab

I already got 4 or 5 cases. No one wants to pay to the hackers, so, no solution.
I sell them a brand new HDD hehehehe

vaibhavs

Hi all,

Got 6 cases till.. I try for Raw recovery and given raw files to customer..
It works in 4 cases as they want few spreadsheets, some picture files only.. so they had only one task to identify file name from contain t of file,
for compound files it not work..

-VaibhavS

DRUG

I've had some cases so far, I had like 6 that were unrecoverable as there was no decryptor avaliable, and 4 or 5 others had noob vars of crypto, that were easily decrypted.

The problem with Crypto is that this coders learn with each other mistakes and every new variant is stronger... :twisted:

jol

DRUG":fsadnrn9 said:
The problem with Crypto is that this coders learn with each other mistakes and every new variant is stronger... :twisted:
No, they learn from the DR firms and pro's