Seagate UltraSlim (Rosewood)1TB and 2TB Technical Reviews

LarrySabo

Sam":37l58w94 said:
[post]10216[/post] Larry--I know exactly what you're talking about. I have a different method for this: Instead of rotating the tool into the heads, I press on the pivot point of the tool with tweezers to hold it in alignment and back the heads into the tool. The tool snugs up against a ridge in the drive base and doesn't move. Takes the 3rd hand out of the equation :D
Hi again Sam. I tried your technique last night with no joy. The comb does not extend below the HDA case edge so there is nothing to push it towards the actuator arms. These combs fell out of place again, allowing the heads to come together. On top of that, the gasket was askew and I managed to let the heads move onto the platters while I tried to re-set it. I ruined my nice $205 CAD donor re-inserting the comb and clearing the induced stiction. They worked in the patient for a while but gave up the ghost after a few minutes, and the donor now ticks with the heads re-installed. What a gong show! Time for some new combs.

Sam

Larry--at the time of your post I was working on a 2TB Rosewood which takes the comb for 2 platters. I went back and checked and sure enough--the 1 platter comb you're working with has a different shape so the technique I mentioned won't work with them. I think I do something similar with the 1 platter comb though--maybe leave the ribbon cable/connector in place while I install the comb. I had some recovery work to catch up on today but have a 1 TB Rosewood sitting on the bench ready to break into to review my technique on and will let you know if there are any specifics I think will help you out.

LarrySabo

Sam":1e02xud3 said:
[post]10258[/post] maybe leave the ribbon cable/connector in place while I install the comb.

Sam, in the case I mentioned, the HDA connector was in place and the comb just barely touched it but it didn't provide enough of a block to allow pushing the comb between the actuator arms. It just kind of tipped the comb, IIRC. Anyway, I'll be interested to hear if you find an idiot-proof technique, because this idiot could use one. :lol:

EDIT:
I don't know what I was drinking when I tried yesterday but I tried again today and the comb does indeed back against the HDA connector. That method does work. Just have to be careful not to snag the comb on the ribbon cable. I need to come up with a way to fix the comb to the actuator arm in any case, especially when I remove heads to check them under the microscope.

After cleaning the $205 CAD donor heads the donor drive is in excellent shape again. Phew!
WDEM0DE7 Donor HDDScan after cleaning heads.jpg

LarrySabo

I've solved the comb-falling-out-while-examining-heads-under-the-microscope issue, with a paper clip. LOL Works really well. I bent the clip so the ends are parallel and just a bit closer together than the width of the comb+actuator arm. The lower portion fits between the actuator arms and there are no wires to snag. I can rotate the head stack to my heart's content without risk of the comb falling out. Ignore the rust! :lol:
Comb clamp.JPG