Seagate ST2000MD001 2tb hdd shows 3.86gb

Jared":xtar8jzj said:
A case like yours is only possible with PC-3000 currently. The system costs around $6000 US to buy and takes about 5 years to learn how to use it.

Only PC3K ? Mrt Ultra can not handle that issue?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure if MRT has since developed the option to unlock these drives. I don't own an MRT so I've not tried it recently.

alan_b

Hello

I'm in the same case: i have a damaged hdd:

Seagate Expansion Desktop Drive 2to (SRD00F2)
ST2000DM001
PN : 1CH164-572
FW : CC44
date 13167
site TK
sticker 1332F
PCB 100687658 rev C

THe thing that push me to write this post is because Jared has perfectly described what's happen to my drive !!!

That's giving me a little hope ^^.

The end of mounth of July was extremely warm in PARIS, this drive was in an enclosure case and it works all the day; when i wanted to switch off the computer (22pm), it wasn't detected. I have change the enclose case and it seem now has 3.86Go and not 2To.

It only appaer on "peripherals and printers" as "hdd sata drive" (i have put it in a dock).

Jared described exactly what happen when in switch on the drive:

Start spinning

1 bip (not every time)

The sound of "the click of death" 2 times quickly then another one

the drive stop spinning

that's it

It's alomost the same thing that in this vidéo (maybe my bipping sound isn't appear in the same time)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOe3dqp_JwM

Intersting thing: the hdd in the vidéo have almost the same specs than mine.

I have buy this software:

https://www.amazon.com/CS-LABS-Recovery ... 743&sr=8-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJxfrAS9rtE

Will it help me to fix my damaged hdd ?

Before the heat wave the condition of the hdd was good.

Any chance to recover my data ?

Thanks a lot in advance for yours responses and advices

alan_b

No i didn't do it.
Since 30th of July i have read a lot of different forums and every time i was disussing with a member of a DR company , the answer was exactly the same everywhere: "We can't do or tell anything without examinating the hdd in our laboratory". In a kind of way i can understand that they are not there to work for free. The Reason that i post here first is the fact that Jared seems have already see the problem that my hdd have; wich doesn't mean that he could fix it only by telling me what to do of course.
If you thing that i can expose my problem on a DR company website and i can have a answer, i will do it.
Another "important" thing: THere is no data that i ABSOLUTLY want to save; there a large part of my blurays and dvds backup and thousands of my cds: absolutly nothing that i can not convert again but i know it's gonna take verrryyy lonnnggg tiiimmmeee !!!
I also know that's gonna cost me at least 1000€, it's not that DR company doesn't derserve it but it's too expensive for me and for data that i can get again.
So i'm ready for everthing that can help to recover my data by myself even if this could crash my hdd FOR GOOD.
To be honest i will be probably more happy to fix the problem by myself than recover my data themselves (even some %).
Anyway thanks for your help in advance.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
alan_b":3oou5w1d said:
[post]11893[/post] We can't do or tell anything without examinating the hdd in our laboratory". In a kind of way i can understand that they are not there to work for free.

It has nothing to do with "working for free" as you say, they can't tell you because it requires professional data recovery equipment costing tens of thousands of dollars to even properly diagnose such situations.

alan_b":3oou5w1d said:
[post]11893[/post] Jared seems have already see the problem that my hdd have; wich doesn't mean that he could fix it only by telling me what to do of course.

Yes, if you had data recovery equipment such as PC-3000 and the likes so I could walk you through properly diagnosing it and repairing it (which most likely will require a HEPA clean room in your case). But, I'm assuming that you don't have such equipment.

We're a professional data recovery company here, and we post about the odd cases so as to discuss them with other techs also in the business. Walking you through it is impossible because you don't have the equipment.

pclab

As Jared said, it's not a case of price or something like that (for instance I give free quotes on drives, before repair).
I do that because I need to know what's wrong with the drive first.

mjz

I have the same problem on seagate st1000vm002 1TB and have a mrt tool but with the sulotion which mrt lab peresented i can not fix it because the exchange command going to fail i wonder if there is any solution