Seagate ST2000DL001 Terminal

LoboX

Wow seems i have the same problem with a hdd i got yesterday. Hmmm the read short pins is the thing i need to figure out where is it.

LarrySabo

LoboX":1fnnhnwi said:
[post]7371[/post] Wow seems i have the same problem with a hdd i got yesterday. Hmmm the read short pins is the thing i need to figure out where is it.
Here's how to figure it out:
1. Take or find a high-res picture of the PCB, both sides
2. Locate the two paired traces that lead from the MCU to the HDA connector
3. Measure the voltage-to-ground (screw hole) of one trace from each pair (with PCB bare, of course).

The pair that has 1.8v - 2.5v to ground will be the write channel traces; the other pair should be near zero volts to ground and will be the read channel.

4. Locate on the component side, the vias that connect each of the paired traces to the bare side of the PCB
5. Locate those vias on the bare side of the PCB. The pair that belonged to the read channel is the pair to short.

To help locate the vias on the bare side, I flip and rotate the image of the component side so it corresponds to the image of the bare side, as shown below. The vias in the bare-side image now are in the same relative positions as in the component side image, making locating the vias easier. If I'm not mistaken, the pair furthest from the two screw holes are the read channel.
2mzwsch.jpg

Component side of the PCB, flipped and rotated

52zxb4.jpg

Bare side of the PCB

LoboX

@LarrySabo

:lol: Still thank you for your time and information. I will try it out later and let you know i guess i can use a paper clip to short them correct?

jol

LarrySabo":ese4ivmh said:
[post]7384[/post] LOL. @jol beat me to it. He posted while I was still typing. :lol:
No, not at all
Because of 2 reasons

1. We are talking about 2 different boards
2. I gave him a fish, but you have taught him how to fish

pclab

Sometimes, getting the exact time for the short is not easy...
What are you using? A paper clip?

LoboX

pclab":2gsr4rv1 said:
[post]7413[/post] Sometimes, getting the exact time for the short is not easy...
What are you using? A paper clip?

I am using tweezers with a paper clip. When i do it it clicks and nocks it sounds weird i press control z but nothing happens maybe is the timing i will probably record myself, but ive been trying all day and nothing.

Any of you guys have a ST2000DL001 model to see what a normal terminal looks like when it boots up.

I was reading about it here also. http://blog.acelaboratory.com/where-and ... rives.html

Thanks