Seagate Head compatibility

pclab

Hi Guys

I have a ST2000DM001 with bad heads here.
It's the first one of this model I get and I have heard very bad about them.

So my question is, based on your experience, what's necessary to get a compatible donor for these drives?
The usual? Serial, model, FW, date?
Thanks

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
That, and get 5 or 6 of them because they probably won't work anyway. :D

I don't think anyone has figured out the trick to this, although I know Luke has spent a whole lot of time trying on these drives (with a little success). Personally I've yet to have a DM drive work for more than a few minutes after a headswap before it just quits working again. But at least worked long enough to confirm that the heads were "compatible" and I didn't ruin them in the process.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
No, the two or three that I ever did get working turned out to be lost causes in the end. Now I just quote that family really high and hope they just decline the quote.

pclab

That's what I'm afraid of..
It seems that this family is a pain...
Here's a picture of the heads.

Attachments

• seagate.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,738

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Forget about it. If the head was ripped off like that and it was running even for a second, it's a lost cause. Don't waste a perfectly good donor.

pclab

Do you think media is damage?
I don't see any top platter scratch and the filter is OK... :oops: :oops:

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Does it seem like the actuator was stuck off of the platters or was it clicking and dragging across it? If it crossed the platter even a couple times I'm relatively certain there's catastrophic media damage from what I can see. On an older lower density drive it might be worth trying, but these DM models are nearly impossible even when the heads look perfectly fine.