Seagate F3 Terminal Command Set

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a consolidated version of all the Seagate terminal commands collected so far. It's not intended to be an exhaustive list, but rather a collection of commands useful in data recovery. If you have more info to share please post it and I'll add it to the list:

[glow=red]The Very Basics:[/glow]

TTL Default Settings:
Bits per second - 38400
Data Bits - 8
Parity - None
Stop Bits - 1
Flow Control - None

Ctrl + z (initiates the terminal connection and should prompt with level T>)
Ctrl + a (displays drive info, Package Version, Serial #, Model # (useful for missing label), Servo FW, etc.
Ctrl + l (displays drive info, # heads, serial, preamp type, family ID, etc.)
Ctrl + c (tells some drives to spin down, can be used immediately after CTL + z)
Ctrl + x (displays log of history commands)
/X (used to change levels, replace X with level 2, 3, 4,... 7, T, etc.)
2>Z (puts drive to sleep)
2>U (spins drive up)
7>X (test read/write head resistance)
T>B[N] (sets baud rate to N, so for example T>B921000 sets to 921000 baud. If invald rate is input, e.g. B1, drive will report supported rates)
T>V1 (returns slip defect list - confirm translator loading)
T>V2 (checks T-List)
T>V4 (checks G-List entries)
T>V10 (checks P-List)
T>V40 (checks for non-resident G-list entries)
1>G6A (clear P-List - Not Recommended!)
T> i2,2,22 (clear T-List - Non Recommended!)
C>Q (returns list of all available commands, sometimes just says "No Help Available" on all of them)
1>N1 (clears S.M.A.R.T)
1>N5 (returns SMART values in terminal window)
T>i4,1,22 (clears G-List)
7>m100 (clears DOS config tables)
T>J (displays CAP which has some drive info such as internal model, family ID, serial numbers, etc.)
C>U10 (regenerate MCMT while retaining MC contents)
C>U2 (regenerate MCMT and MC)

[glow=red]F Command:[/glow] (thanks to hddoracle.com)
This is helpful for drives stuck in pending reallocate mode (E.G. InitiateMarkPendingReallocateRequest for disc_lba: )
All commands issues at level T>. Also HDD needs to be power cycled after issuing.

F (lists out all the parameters and bytes that can be modified within the F command)
F"RWRecoveryFlags",00,22 (disables read sparing, write sparing, and enables correction)
F"RWRecoveryFlags",01,22 (disables read sparing, write sparing and disables correction)
F"BGMSFlags",00,22 (disables background media scan)
F"PerformanceFlags",0060,22 (disables offline sparing, deferred auto reallocation, and idle activities)
F"ReadRetries",00,22 (disables read retries - possibly better performance in software like ddrescue)
F,,22 (resets to default - sometimes necessary to get sector access back afterward)

[glow=red]r & w Commands:[/glow]
Commands issued at level T>

r command is used to read system files (E.G. T>r93 requests system file 93)
w command is used to write system files (E.G. T>w28 initiates write for system file 28)

These commands can also be used to read/write a specific volume/copy of a system file. The command is issued as follows:
r[FileId],[VolumeNum],[CopyNum],[ByteOffset],[Length],[OutputFmt]
w[FileId],[VolumeNum],[CopyNum],[ByteOffset]
So for example to read system file 28 volume 3, copy 1: T>r28,3,1
To write system file 93 volume 3, copy 0: T>w93,3,0
(Most SA modules are in the default volume 3, just FYI)

These read/write operations are carried out using Y-Modem protocol supported by some terminal programs.

[glow=red]SSHD Specific (Rosewood Drives):[/glow]

O>I (Clear NAND of Donor in preparation for PCB replacement w/ ROM transfer)

[glow=red]M Command Quick Reference:[/glow] (thanks to PCLab)
All commands issued at level T>

m0,6,2,,,,,22 (most commonly used to regenerate translator)

m0,2,1,,,,,22 ( To rebuilt slip list, V1 )
m0,2,2,,,,,22 ( To rebuilt G list, V2 )
m0,2,3,,,,,22 ( To rebuilt P list, V3 )

m0,5,1,10,3,,,22 ( To zero fill with slip list )
m0,5,2,10,3,,,22 ( To zero fill with G list )
m0,5,3,10,3,,,22 ( To zero fill with P list )

m0,8,1,10,3,,,22 ( To format with slip list )
m0,8,2,10,3,,,22 ( To format with G list )
m0,8,3,10,3,,,22 ( To format with P list )

m0,D,1,,,,,22 ( To repair bad sector by Slip list )
m0,D,2,,,,,22 ( To repair bad sector by G list )
m0,D,3,,,,,22 ( To repair bad sector by P list )

m0,20,1,,,,,22 ( To format (seacos XF) by Slip list )
m0,20,2,,,,,22 ( To format (seacos XF) by G list )
m0,20,3,,,,,22 ( To format (seacos XF) by P list, most powerfull to repair bad sectors, red and green blocks )

m0,2,2,,,,,22 ( Format user area partition without certifying defects and relocate defects. not effect Data in a drive )
m0,2,1,,,,,22 ( Format user area partition with user slip list with certify defects. DATA WILL BE LOSS )
m0,D,3,,,,,22 ( Format user area partition with repairing of bad sector, auto add bad sector into G list and in the last it will be shifted to P list )

m0,5,1,,,,,22 ( it used for erasing of all sector )
m0,8,2,,,,,22 ( it is used for formatting hard disk sectors )

M Command Full Explanation: (thanks to irs)

View attachment Seagate Terminal M Command.doc

[glow=red]Terminal Errors Explained:[/glow] (thanks to HDDGuy)

TCC-001A[0x000042F9][0x000042F9]ZZZZMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZMMMMMMMMMMM.... = This error relates to an inability to read Servo or Overlays. This message is also displayed at some Grenada models when PCB/ROM is not native.

Failed to load overlay 00000004 - this is usually associated with some hardware error and can be caused by non-native adaptives (i.e non-original ROM)

SIM error 1002 = this message alerts us to some error with one or more defect list. Potentially P-list or NRG list can be bad.

SIM error 2044 - Translator tables cannot be read or are damaged.

SIM error 1009 - Module 17A is damaged

SIM Error 203F / SIM Error 2040 / SIM Error 2044 / SIM Error 3005 - Also seem to be damaged or unreadable translator related errors

LED:00000047 FAddr:FFFFFFFE - Usually this relates to Media Cache

LED:000000BC FAddr:00006220 - Usually this also relates to Media Cache or some relocation parameters.

More Terminal Errors Explained: (thanks to jol and acelabs)

SIM ERROR 3005 (mean that “format corrupted flag” in on and Translator is not loaded in RAM)

“No HOST FIS-ReadyStatusFlags” (reason message: why translator is not loaded).

More Terminal Errors Collected From the Web By Your's Truely

LED:0x000000BD FAddr:0x00009887 or LED:000000BD FAddr:0000988E - Usually relates to Media Cache or other background processes in System File 93. Some have reported clearing SMART as having fixed the issue.

MCMTFileHandler: EXCEPTION: Failed MCMT read request - Relates to System file 346 being damaged, or possibly media cache

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A7E5 - Bad Translator. Short read channel, clear smart, regenerate translator.

SMI init (or) Training Failed - Bad PCB

Disc FW failed to load - Bad PCB

Sense code = xxxxxx82 – problem with sector translation (broken translator) (x's will be other numbers)
Sense code = xxxxxx81 – uncorrected error (bad sector, not translator)

LED:00000067 - Normal if PCB is removed from HDA. Otherwise it's heads/media damage

SimError - Remaining in BootFW
Perform a double download without a power cycle (This error occurs with non-original ROM code or PCB)

[glow=Blue]Last Updated: 2/6/2019[/glow]

ScotchBroth

Side question to this. Are we totally locked out of the Seag. LP drives terminal? I've not been able to get in.

EDIT: Cables were messed up like an idiot. I got in. Thanks Jared!

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Here's another one thanks to jol which he found on ace website:

SIM ERROR 3005 (mean that “format corrupted flag” in on and Translator is not loaded in RAM)
“No HOST FIS-ReadyStatusFlags” (reason message: why translator is not loaded).

I'll add it to the list above too.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Another command I'd like to add, but I'm trying to understand it's use fully is the:

T>rXX command (replace XX with system file number such as "r93" or "r17a")

On a good drive it will respond with:

Code:
F3 T>r93

File Volume 3
File ID 093
File Copy Number 0
File Descriptor FD37D093
File Size 00001200
Byte Offset 00000000
Bytes to read 00001200

Drive is ready to send FILE_3_093_0 file.

However I'm not sure if there's a way to download after that. I would assume it must be done via ATA and won't dump the module through the terminal window. Anyone know more about this function?

I know it can be used to check a module and see if it's healthy at least. Not sure if you can do more with it.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! That's exactly what I was looking for relating to this one, and pretty much what I had assumed (just had never tried it). I should spend more time playing around in hyper terminal, just haven't needed to in so long.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
meysambk":rhehs054 said:
Hello
How to Seagate that code do just that incomplete terminal?

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you're asking how to get into terminal you'll need to use a TTL adapter such as this: http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Pc-3000 ... oC8-Tw_wcB

Along with something like HyperTerminal or Putty to interface with the drive. Or one of the professional data recovery systems like PC-3000, MRT, Dolphin Data Labs, etc.