Seagate DM Headswap Experiences

chudzoskruo

Hi, may I have noob question?

disk st1000lm035
head stucked on platter, then head shows to be physically damaged

If I will swap head (eg will find the same) is swap possible without reading firmware etc?

Also there is 1 platter is it really possible to swap platter when is only 1 without further action?
Thx for any answer.

chudzoskruo

If I can have a question.

Hdd st1000lm035
1) head disabled on platter
2) after remove, seems be destroyed by crash

Can this be fixed only with switching the same head - without touching the firmware (I do not know how to do that).
The disk have 1 platter - in this case is platter swap possible without any further change?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
pjotr-pjotrovic.beller":3qtlfa7e said:
[post]15338[/post] possible to swap head without need to read firmware

Swap the head, sure why not.... actually get the drive to work long enough to read any data, probably not. It's pretty common with these to need to disable things in the firmware to stabilize the drive after replacing heads. Without proper tools, maybe you'll get lucky and it'll work out, but that's a very small minority of cases.

4ddg3

Jared,
would you elaborate on how to (en/dis)able things in the firmware? Is that via the terminal interface or something else?

Thanks.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I'm working with professional tools, e.g. PC-3000 so it's mostly using vendor specific ATA commands to do the modification. With some models, it is possible to read/write system files over terminal but making the modifications to enable/disable things isn't exactly straightforward. There's no substitute for pro tools.

Can you get paint on a car using only a brush? Sure. But if you want to run an autobody shop and get good results, you're gonna need a proper sprayer.