Seagate DM Headswap Experiences

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
LarrySabo":w6rk03gx said:
Do the donor heads still work in the donor? Weird that it worked for a while but never again after having failed on bad sectors, almost as if damaged by bad media.

This is a great topic, BTW, if we get input on what works and what doesn't.

Haven't tried them back in the donor, but I'm pretty sure they are toast. There was a little bit of platter damage right at the edge of the platters (heads missed the ramp) but it didn't seem too bad. But then who knows if it got some particles of metal or platter surface that got stuck to some of the lower platters.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
jol":fupnux86 said:
you were able to write 2 ? or just read (or didn't try to write) ?

Didn't try. In fact, I don't think I've ever tried to write data to a patient drive. Seems unethical to me I guess.

LarrySabo

lcoughey":who55j6k said:
LarrySabo":who55j6k said:
Ow, ow, ow. Hurts my eyes!

Here's one that was worked on by "a friend who works in the government and does data recovery."
That isn't data recovery...that is data destruction by someone who shouldn't be doing data recovery...assuming that they did the damage and not someone else.
I can only assume it was by the guy mentioned, i.e., the friend, otherwise I suspect he would have mentioned any others who had tried and given up, which he didn't. He mentioned the guy does forensic investigations/recoveries, but I have no idea why such a person would open a drive. It certainly wasn't done by me.

jol

Jared":24mi48j5 said:
In fact, I don't think I've ever tried to write data to a patient drive. Seems unethical to me I guess.

you sure about that ?
you never write on a patients drive ?
what about clearing p-list g-list s.m.a.r.t ... ?

this is what i meant if you were able to write

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
SA writing is one thing, I though you were referring to writing to sectors. Gor a Seagate DM that just had a head crash, not much point in doing any SA modifications, it's either going to work or not.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Ah Man! My favorite Wii game, love those Rabbids. :D

Is this a new mini game where you have to plunge out all the DM models that are plugging up your toilet? I think this should be Seagates new logo.

emir_has

My confirmation of compatible drives:

Patient:
ST2000DM001
FW: CC4B
Preamp: B3 03
Date: 12501
PN: 9YN164-500
WU
SN: W1E0...

Donor:
ST2000DM001
FW: CC4B
Preamp: B3 03
Date: 13306
PN: 9YN164-500
TK
SN: Z1E3...

Lucky1001

Patient:
ST3000DM001-1CH166-300
FW: CC43
Preamp: B4 13
Date: 13161
WU
SN: W1F1EWRS
6 Heads (H1 dead)

Donor:
ST2000DM001-9YN164-302
FW: CC4C
Preamp: CC 26
Date: 12375
WU
SN: W240C290
5 Heads (Used Only H1, everything was read at full speed without errors)

Hi,
may I have a noob question? is it possible to swap head without need to read firmware - hdd st1000lm035.

It has 1 platter only and somebody told it is also possible to swap platter without further reading firmware.

Thx for any answer.