SAS EG000600JWJNH

chris2ferz

I'm in SAS hell with this model drive. Doing a raid 5 recovery where two of these HPE SAS EG000600JWJNH drives had heads stuck to the platters. Server had a power outage. Not impressed with this model which appears to have custom firmware which will only talk to their hardware. Deepspar and ACE SAS solutions will not even power this drive. Drives are about three years old and still trying to figure out why the heads didn't make it to the ramp when that is supposed to be the design of any modern drive on power loss. I can park the heads but pretty sure they will either delaminate or fail to work after.

Hoping for advice. I do have 8 other drives from the same litter that might have decent donor heads but since I can't control the firmware or recovery, I wouldn't expect good results. Might read 2/3 of the drive if I'm lucky. Are there any options?
Thanks in advance

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Is there an orange wire in your power supply wires going to the drives?

chris2ferz

Yes. I did try several adapters and later found out the vendor uses proprietary SAS commands which have not been reversed. I'm unaware of anyone getting access to these drives outside of the server for which they are married to.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Try cutting the orange wire in one of those power cables and see if the drive spins up then. :D