Sandisk Thumbdrive Recovery

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Just a couple questions for you flash experts on here. I've got a thumbdrive that was previously soldered on and it's missing at least one component, which I'm assuming was a resistor. Though, it's possible that it's just a bridge (but I can't see why that would be necessary if it was).

Here's a picture of the missing component spot:
AMBA0058.JPG

And here's the controller & NAND:
AMBA0056.JPGAMBA0057.JPG

So my question is, can anyone tell me what the missing component should be? It's between VCC and goes directly to the NAND chip pin 12. Also, does anyone know if chip off is possible on this one?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I see a thread on Flash Extractor forum discussing a few cases of this one, so it must be possible to chip off. I'm going to quote for that, I'm nervous to attempt anything that'll potentially send too much power to the NAND and cook it if I've got the wrong value resistor.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Just Rusolut. I mostly just use it to take dumps that I have someone else rebuild for me. I haven't really ventured much into flash yet, I just don't find it very profitable.

Jared":1klvi0sb said:
Just Rusolut. I mostly just use it to take dumps that I have someone else rebuild for me. I haven't really ventured much into flash yet, I just don't find it very profitable.

alright ,
can you show me the complete photo out outer shell and some markings on the pcb so that i can check my small inventory for you if i can find the info you demand :D

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Right now I've shelved the project until my quote is approved. I'm just going to plan for a chip off, and only waste my time trying to repair the PCB if it's approved. It'll be a pain either way, so I'm just planning for that.

I don't have the outer shell either. Was never provided by the customer.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Good to know that. When it came in there was a blob of solder jumpering the two pads, so I assumed there'd been something there and it fell off when the customer was doing his own soldering on it. Perhaps it was always empty and he was just trying stuff.

Thanks!