Samsung USB to SATA PCB Compatability

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
OK, so generally speaking that should be a compatible pairing, but there are odd things related to minor revisions that can sometimes make it not work. A few things I'd check:

• Is the ROM soldered on right side up?
  • Are you sure you moved the correct chip? (usually, there's only one 8 pin on these)
  • Do the Main IC and MCU (motor controller) chips both match between the two boards?
  • Are the RAM chips the same capacity?

Perhaps if you post images or at least the specific REV of the PCBs one of us can take a look and see why it might not be compatible and recommend one that would be.

polykyle

Thank you Jared, I'm attaching photos of each. The picture missing the ROM chip is the 100760718 board. The pcb 100760718 chip reads: Winband 20x40cl05, 1542, 6530, 2c000zs. Thank you.

IMG_20180508_141847.jpg

IMG_20180508_141841.jpg

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I can't read the motor controller on one of those pictures. The main IC is a match.

I do however notice that the SATA board has 128Mb of RAM whereas the USB one only had 64Mb. I'm not sure if having too much memory would normally be a problem though. Usually too little is the issue. I'd probably try a different revision other than the that one. You notice that "03" after the 100720903? Try getting a different one and see if it helps.

Sam

Though it looks to be attached with the correct polarity, if all the contacts aren't touching the pads it won't spin up.

polykyle

Jared":2czg29su said:
Well, I can't read the motor controller on one of those pictures. The main IC is a match.

The motor controller that you can't read from the pictures is 3cathktrg4 / tls2605. The bottom numbers match each chip. I'll see if I can't find a different revision though - thank you Jared.

Sam":2czg29su said:
Though it looks to be attached with the correct polarity, if all the contacts aren't touching the pads it won't spin up.

Sorry, do you mean all the solder points in contact with the ROM chip? Just wanted to make sure as I can take another look. I didn't add any additional solder when I transferred the chip.

jol":2czg29su said:
does the ROM chip getting hot when powered on ?

I haven't felt the ROM chip specifically. when I attached it to the drive, the area closer to the SATA connection was getting warmer though. I'll try feeling the area by the ROM chip.

Sam

Sam":1b7jemex said:

polykyle":1b7jemex said:
Sorry, do you mean all the solder points in contact with the ROM chip? Just wanted to make sure as I can take another look. I didn't add any additional solder when I transferred the chip.

Yes--contacts on the ROM with the contact pads on the PCB. I usually don't need extra solder; I just use a little flux on donor and patient ROM before removing. Then check solder joints under microscope. If I see an "iffy" joint then I'll flow a little extra solder on it just so I know I won't have to waste time pulling the PCB off again and redoing my solder job.

polykyle

Thank you Sam, I'll take the pcb to our electronics lab here and take a look. I'll check the joints for any breaks or weaks spots.