Samsung Reading Only Through Utility

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an odd case that I'm just finishing up. It's a Samsung HM500JI drive. It ID's and shows correct capacity but errors out immediately on any attempt to access sectors. Does take a little long to come ready, but only about 40 seconds.

I check modules and it has damaged A-List and S.M.A.R.T. modules. I'm assuming that the Alist is why it's not able to read in UDMA or PIO modes. However it will read through utility just fine. Attempts to clear AList & S.M.A.R.T. fail and just make the drive get stuck busy.

Took about a week, but I've got 99% copied now through utility.

Here's a video of the issue:

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq1usUw71oI[/bbvideo]

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think so, I played around with it before and it made no difference. Says a user pass is set, but when I had it read the password there wasn't one. Maybe just an unrelated glitch I think.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Update: Now that I've got all the data and don't mind messing around more I tried a few more things. Seems the ALIST wasn't the issue at all, it was the password module. Even though I'm pretty sure there was never a pass set, I wiped out and did a total password reset, and now it has UDMA access. Still just as slow, in fact I think it's actually slower than through terminal.