Samsung NVMe PM981

ech20

Hi,

Came across this site as I have been trying to recover a Samsung PM981 512GB SSD for a friend, looks like it could be a firmware issue or properly fried, though nothing physcially obvious. The laptop it was previously in (Dell) basically stopped booting into Windows and I told my friend I'd take a look as I have an NVMe USB-3 external caddy.

Steps I have taken so far:-

1. Checked the drive in Windows in Disk Management - the drive appears and shows as 'Not Initialised'

2. Loaded R-Studio and checked in there, it shows the name of the caddy but not the underlying drive and will also not allow image options or anything, everything is greyed out.

3. Booted into ubuntu vm and mapped the USB across. I can see the system attempting to read the drive from dmesg but it's giving errors ( I can add them if required) The drive does not show if I do 'fdisk -l' nor does it if I query the '/dev/sdb' location where the hardware has been assigned, it's not adding volumes or anything like sdb1 etc.

Given that this is likely a physical issue is there anything else that is worth trying? If not, what are the best next step options? I'm in the UK so would need to find a decent expert with the right tools, rather than paying someone to do the things I can try myself.

Even if someone had access to better tooling, is it likely they would be able to recover the data / fix the firmware?

Thanks

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
ech20":1xr6ue9m said:
[post]15696[/post] Given that this is likely a physical issue is there anything else that is worth trying?
Nope, at the very least it's got a firmware issue making it unresponsive to normal ATA commands. Nothing else to try with just a PC.

ech20":1xr6ue9m said:
[post]15696[/post] I'm in the UK so would need to find a decent expert with the right tools
http://pcimage.co.uk would have the right tools, but I'm not sure any data recovery system as of yet supports the Samsung PM981, so for now, it might be stuck until the technology catches up, no matter where you send it.

pclab

It's not just because it supports NVMe that will recover all kind of drives.
There are several controllers in the NVMe/SSD drives and if there's not support for them, it will not be possible to recover.