Samsung HN-M101MBB slider stuck on insde platter

I have 1TB Samsung HNM101MBB drive for data recovery. bottom 2 heads 0-1 are with out slider. After looking closely inside the platter those sliders are stuck to platters.

I tried to shake the drive to remove sliders but it could not come out. Is there any way to get those out so that I can replace the heads and read the drive.

I am planning to get below platter extractor and holder for 280$. my questions are 1. removing the platters and putting back what precaution I need to have? 2. Do I need to keep the vertical alignment accurate or little bit offset will work? 3. Are these platter holders safe for platters as these probably hold platter by magnet.

platterswap.jpg

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't remove the platters at all. That's very risky when there are other easier methods. One method I've heard of guys using is to make a loop out of nylon fishing line and try to hook the slider and pull it out. Another method I've used several times is to use an ESD safe cleanroom swab which can fit between the platters and rub it over the slider until it pops out.

These are the swabs I've used: https://www.soscleanroom.com/product/sw ... KEQAvD_BwE

The only one that'll be a real challenge will be slider 0 since you'll have no way to see that one at all.

Jared":3vgep5nk said:
I wouldn't remove the platters at all. That's very risky when there are other easier methods. One method I've heard of guys using is to make a loop out of nylon fishing line and try to hook the slider and pull it out. Another method I've used several times is to use an ESD safe cleanroom swab which can fit between the platters and rub it over the slider until it pops out.

These are the swabs I've used: https://www.soscleanroom.com/product/sw ... KEQAvD_BwE

The only one that'll be a real challenge will be slider 0 since you'll have no way to see that one at all.

Well,
The fishing line works like a charm but as its nylon beware of static ,If thread is charged tends to stick to platter before we can place it behind the sliders

Blizzard

Freekingeeks":33bhyapk said:
...Are these platter holders safe for platters as these probably hold platter by magnet.
Those tools are stainless steel, no magnets. They work with a special 3M double sided tape. You can see the protective paper has not yet been removed from the sticky surface in the pictures.

Thank you all for all your reply and suggestions.

Removed platters with the help of stickers, used the plastic stick to remove the slider and that's it.

Drive now imaging. :D
WhatsApp Image 2018-07-15 at 10.17.01 PM(2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-07-15 at 10.17.01 PM(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-07-15 at 10.17.00 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-07-15 at 10.17.01 PM.jpeg