samsung hm160hi

kilgor

Screenshot_1.pngGreetings,

I'm a newbie data recovery expert that I am trying to improve my self as fast as I can.

I've a samsung hdd 160gb. Disk is unable to seen by windows and any other disk 3rd party disk managements. When I connect to PC3000UDMA I can start it is utility without any problems, SA is accessible, head tests are fine, first and last sectors are seems fine, modules tables are also fine.I can access user data through data extractor and can get image of it or copy of it.

But it makes me curious how can I make windows or other disk managemet things access to this disk.
I had a same situation on a WD disk and got fixed it by SA translator rebuild. But samsung does not have translator rebuild or fix options. Do you have any idea? Thanks for your attention

Have a nice day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,478

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
First off, welcome to the forum! :D Please be sure to introduce yourself in the introductions section: introductions-f16.html

kilgor":3enelmyc said:
[post]11155[/post] But it makes me curious how can I make windows or other disk managemet things access to this disk.
Why on earth would you want to? The drive probably has bad sectors in the MFT or other critical filesystem structures. It's probably dropping offline when Windows attempts to read a damaged area and gets stuck in a busy state. PC-3000 is smart enough to recognize this condition and can perform the necessary resets to get it back online.

Extract data to new drive, bill customer, case closed.

Data should [shadow=blue]never, never, never[/shadow] be returned to the customer on the original drive. You must always make them provide/purchase a new drive as a destination for the data.

kilgor":3enelmyc said:
[post]11155[/post] But samsung does not have translator rebuild or fix options.

If you can read the first and last sector then your translator is 100% and touching it will only end in disaster. Translator regeneration is only for partial access cases.

kilgor

Well thank you for your informative reply. Actually I was curious to fix it because these disks are my test disks. I get them from an old computer hardware store just for practice. As I said before I am a newbie :)

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Bad sector cases probably make up 30-40% of the cases we see in a given week. So a good number of real-world cases you'll get are as easy as plug and clone with PC-3000. You've just got to learn how to efficiently image drives to maximize the recovered data while not killing the drives.

kilgor

Great thanks. :)
Well beside as a noob in this area seems like I will bother you very much from here. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: