Recovery from Apple Fusion

slingshot

So the latest R studio on the Mac sees the APFS partitions yet theres still no indication of recreating the fusion LoL

IMG_1153.JPG

Tried some fiddling with the utility and loading the SSD image into it together with the HDD but still nada fusion.

So far have ascertained that the files can be recovered out of the SSD with the file structure in tact, but the files need to be carved out of the spinner, using RAW recovery.

Jared may be right, the Apple store genius bots may have been at the iMac before it came to us, hence the complete refusal to accept it was even a fusion setup in the first place :shock:

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I think this message in SysDev's video sums up the problem:
Clipboard01.jpg

If they messed with the SSD then the structure of how the fusion fragments go together is lost and it's impossible to recover with full names and structure.

Unfortunately, I've seen it too many times here.

slingshot

You were right, it had been interfered with, the customer revealed he had been messing around trying to reinstall the OS.

No fusion goodies to work from on the SSD as he had wiped them all out :roll:

I was able to get SSD files with a structure and intact but the spinner had to make do with a RAW recovery. At least he gets his photos back, just not in iPhoto :lol: :lol:

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
He's lucky he didn't have FileVault turned on, or he'd be getting nothing back.

slingshot

Jared":mv3xnsut said:
He's lucky he didn't have FileVault turned on, or he'd be getting nothing back.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your help piecing the strange behaviour together Jared, I now know for next time I see one of these.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Anytime, I know how much it helps to have other DR guys to bounce things off of. We've all got a different mixed bag of cases we've dealt with.