Recovered Video Files

starbuck325

Hi Everyone,

I recently had an SD card go corrupt on me when it got disconnected during an offload. I downloaded a recovery program and it seemed to see all the files on the disk though it spit them out broken apart. I've been searching all day and have found nothing on how to repair them. The original files are from a GH4 camera recording video. They now look like this:

32745312521_38d90f59e8_z.jpg

32745312391_f37775e734_z.jpg

32745312241_c4c38f3364_z.jpg

32745312171_d1118a1646_z.jpg

32745311271_50506c8a41_z.jpg

So I'm wondering if these files are complete toast or if there is a way to recombine them into one file? I have no clue what to do from here. Any help would be very much appreciated! Thank you.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
The first thing I would check is if your computer has the right codec to playback the video type. I'd assume you're using a computer you've previously played these files on, so it should already be there.

If you're sure you have the necessary codecs, then I'd suspect the issue is actually related to fragmentation. I know certain cameras actually fragment the video data stream with metadata chunks. I posted an article a while back about how GoPro cameras do that: https://www.data-medics.com/data-recove ... y-service/ . Unfortunately when most data recovery software does file carving it's only looking for the start of a file and the end. It won't generally know how to remove chunks of data that don't belong in the file.

It looks to me that you're using free software like Testdisk to do the recovery. Perhaps first you should try scanning the card using a demo of some paid software such as R-Studio which actually might be able to recognize the file system and properly recover the files. If that fails, then your next best bet will be to try CnWRecovery which can defragment many video files that have been embedded with metadata blocks.

protech

starbuck325":1pae0nia said:
[post]7052[/post] Hi Everyone,
So I'm wondering if these files are complete toast or if there is a way to recombine them into one file? I have no clue what to do from here. Any help would be very much appreciated! Thank you.

Have you been able to fix those files? If not, let me know I might have a solution for you.