RAW Data question

Hollywood691

I had a WD essential external HD mess up, I ended up following directions of a guy that ended with a quick format, him saying dont worry it can be recovered.

SO I ran recovery software on it, deep scan for hours, when clicking on recover and saving to a different HD, it says "RAW Data" with different file extensions, PPM, FLC and so on. Some zipped stuff that says it cant be opened, not an archive. How do I return everything to formats that can be opened? :shock:

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
What is the exact model of the HDD? Your "guy" may have just nuked your data for good if it's one of the newer drives that's SMR and supports T.R.I.M.

There is never a good reason to format or otherwise write new data to a drive you've lost data on. Anyone telling you to do that is 100% clueless and 100% WRONG!!!

Hollywood691

I hope not,......it's a 2 TB western digital My Book essential, guessing maybe 6-7 years old, I cant remember when I got it. I came in one day and it was off,......so read probly the controller board. I pulled it out got numbers and ordered one, put it in, it powered up and not showing in my computer. Did show in device manager said device working properly. It showed in disk management but looked to have 2 partitions (I dont know why) but both saying Not Allocated. Here is conversation with the guy https://community.wd.com/t/my-book-essential-elements-not-working/269015 and what I did to it.

I do alot of music recording (Im guitar player) and have tons of sessions I really hate to lose. Wont be the end of the world but I hate it.
Its been recovering what it found on overnight deep scan since about 6 this morning (onto a different 4tb ex hd) but I dont understand anything its putting there.

Brent