RAP CAP SAP EDIT

salim123

hi

just started learning seagate, any details about rap,sap,cap, any

terminal command for display/edit parameter, on LEVEL 7 and 2.

( screen short, text, pdf, video)

how to find the head quantity and zones, in winhex,

please share

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
salim123":jo09sdr7 said:
[post]10180[/post] how to find the head quantity and zones, in winhex,

This I'm certain is impossible.

salim123":jo09sdr7 said:
[post]10180[/post] terminal command for display/edit parameter, on LEVEL 7 and 2.

A straight forward command to read/edit the RAP + CAP + SAP, no, not a chance. If Seagate has this they'd never share it anyway. These values are in the ROM code, which can be read by terminal easily enough using a tool like PC-3000 or an external programmer. However, you'll waste years of your life trying to understand where to isolate these values and learn how to manually import/export them. Much easier to just use a proper tool like PC-3000.

Besides, I've rarely seen any value/benefit to transferring adaptives. Usually, Seagate will either work after a head swap, or it just won't work. If it does work, it's not worth the risk of powering it off/on more times to transfer the adaptives. All to just get a little better read speed.

FAsTec

Hi Jared

allow me to share our personal experience

We had some Seagate F3 that were clicking after heads swap, instead after importing the heads adaptives with PC-3000, they had initialized and were recovered fine.

Regards

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I've rarely seen any benefit to it. Glad to hear it did work that well in your case. I've tried importing head adaptives dozens, if not hundreds of times, when a drives wouldn't work with a particular set of heads and it never once worked that way for me. A few times it helped when one or two heads were just reading really slowly after head swap, but that's about the most benefit I've ever seen.