RAID Configurations

hddguy

I have a 30 page document containing a list of RAID controllers and a screenshot of the configuration used to recover. Sadly, I abandoned the project in late 2013 as I now use manual XOR tracing techniques to build and do not need these references anymore. But if they are useful to anyone I can post them somewhere?

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
I'd love to see it if you're willing to share. I usually just figure them out manually too, but sometimes something like that can really speed up a project when you're on a deadline.

Alt-RTT

You MUST post this info if you want to do this. Sure it's a very valuable data, especially for those who aren't data recovery experts.

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of RAID.

@R-TT - does the latest version of R-Studio have 1 sector stripe size as an option in the drop down box now? I know you can type it in manually, but it seems to be getting more common to see that size used so would probably be good to be listed as a standard option.

hddguy

All versions do. Select '512KB' then in the text box showing '512 KB' simply delete the 'K' and you have 512 B :)

Jared

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I know you can type it in manually. I said that before. I'm just suggesting it should be a default option in the drop down.

hddguy

Here are a few RAID configurations from previous cases I have solved.

With Reclaime providing a solution for finding RAID configs in addition to tools like UFS Explorer supporting MDADM based arrays, these configs may not be as useful as they once were, but in cases where parameters cannot be defined by software these may be helpful, though ultimately analysis at XOR level is always the best method.

Attachments

• Apple X-Server (1).JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 2,494
  • Buffalo Terrastation.JPG
    Buffalo Terrastation.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 2,495
  • Dell Poweredge 2850.JPG
    Dell Poweredge 2850.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 2,495

hddguy

continued...

Attachments